X2 Mini Mill CNC Conversion?

the shielded cable is correct mgp
steve

if you see missing letters in my posts
my keyboard gets the hickups now and then
steve

cnc4pc will not display your cart for me
some people want to just know what settings to set the controller cards to and some what to know what the settings mean and why they are being set a certain way. its up to you some people only want to know how to use it. others want to know how it works this helps if your trying to figure out problems. I confess my first mill ran only because i kept flipping switches untill it did and i had no clue, i'm amazed it didnt fry ( not really i know now the power supply was so weak it couldn't )
helping you learn gives others the chance to correct me and i learn also. so if you have the time....
steve

Ok here what i think im going to get is this wire ok because i really would like different color wires and ill get one fan for now.
http://www.cnc4pc.com/Store/osc/shopping_cart.php

the wire your seeing on ebay has 4 wires in it and a shield wire to protect it from interference you need this wire to connect each motor and to connect each motor controller to the breakout board. they need to be shielded because they are low voltage and magnetic impulses will cause problems. the 4 wires inside are different colors " I'm sorry i missed this a while back"
this wire can be used for part of the limit switch circuit also
the wires i didnt mention are the wires that go from the power supply to each motor controller. I prefer to shield everything but these can be just 16 gauge red and black wires if you have enough shielded wire left use it thats why i said 40ft also to order 40 ft in ebay you have to put 4 in quanity when ordering.
ok one fan but have the fan blowing over the motor drivers first then over the power supply and out of the cabinet vents. the power supply puts out the most heat and you dont want it heating the motor controllers up.
steve

the wire your seeing on ebay has 4 wires in it and a shield wire to protect it from interference you need this wire to connect each motor and to connect each motor controller to the breakout board. they need to be shielded because they are low voltage and magnetic impulses will cause problems. the 4 wires inside are different colors " I'm sorry i missed this a while back"
this wire can be used for part of the limit switch circuit also
the wires i didnt mention are the wires that go from the power supply to each motor controller. I prefer to shield everything but these can be just 16 gauge red and black wires if you have enough shielded wire left use it thats why i said 40ft also to order 40 ft in ebay you have to put 4 in quanity when ordering.
ok one fan but have the fan blowing over the motor drivers first then over the power supply and out of the cabinet vents. the power supply puts out the most heat and you dont want it heating the motor controllers up.
steve
Ok so how many fans should i get and should i get 50 ft of the shielded wire to wire everything? I have two dell computers that i am not useing i was going to use one just for the mach3 software and the other i was going to use this tower for my control box. will this tower work for a control box and if so i wouldnt need a power plug or power switch then correct ? the computers have windows XP home edition , Intel Pentium 4, 2.4GHz, 40GB Hard drive , .99 GB of Ram Thanks Mike

cnc4pc will not display your cart for me
some people want to just know what settings to set the controller cards to and some what to know what the settings mean and why they are being set a certain way. its up to you some people only want to know how to use it. others want to know how it works this helps if your trying to figure out problems. I confess my first mill ran only because i kept flipping switches untill it did and i had no clue, i'm amazed it didnt fry ( not really i know now the power supply was so weak it couldn't )
helping you learn gives others the chance to correct me and i learn also. so if you have the time....
steve

If your willing to give the knowledge i have the time . I always want to learn how things work. Thanks Mike

the tower case should work fine go back and look at my pics on the left of the mill is the pc on top and everything else mounted in the bottom tower a simple toggle switch and an old extension cord is all i used to wire the power supply with a cord grommet in the case one fan should be fine with a pc case it is well vented and has fan mount holes normally. the other switches in my pic are the spindle on off, forward reverse and speed control they were on my mill i moved the dc controller and everything to the tower also. make it work first make it neat and pretty when the money is available all the little parts add up fast panel connectors plugs if your not going to move this all over hard wire it to start
the 40ft of cable should be fine how far away from the mill will the panel be thats the bulk of the length
the pc's you have are fine i'll find you a list of what to remove from xp so you have no problems no internet on a mach3 machine but i have a few small programs to write gcode right at my machine thats fine close them then run mach3. the main thing is nothing else running and no screen savers, power savers,sleep modes, hibernate modes. once cleaned your pc will be good
steve

the tower case should work fine go back and look at my pics on the left of the mill is the pc on top and everything else mounted in the bottom tower a simple toggle switch and an old extension cord is all i used to wire the power supply with a cord grommet in the case one fan should be fine with a pc case it is well vented and has fan mount holes normally. the other switches in my pic are the spindle on off, forward reverse and speed control they were on my mill i moved the dc controller and everything to the tower also. make it work first make it neat and pretty when the money is available all the little parts add up fast panel connectors plugs if your not going to move this all over hard wire it to start
the 40ft of cable should be fine how far away from the mill will the panel be thats the bulk of the length
the pc's you have are fine i'll find you a list of what to remove from xp so you have no problems no internet on a mach3 machine but i have a few small programs to write gcode right at my machine thats fine close them then run mach3. the main thing is nothing else running and no screen savers, power savers,sleep modes, hibernate modes. once cleaned your pc will be good
steve

OK Great i will clean out the machine as soon as you get me that info. Thanks again Mike

you will need to buy or borrow a soldering gun and rosin core solder to connect the cables at the motor and heat shrink each wire then all the wires no reason to put plugs at the motors unless you intend to move the mill a lot.
steve

are you good with pc's
if not we will do it together ok
steve

Back