X2 Mini Mill CNC Conversion?

MGP

Active User
Registered
I have a X2 Harbor Freight Mini Mill and want to use The CNC Fusion Conversion Kit can anyone give me a list of everything else i will need to get this complete? I plan on using the Mach 3 software. Thanks Mike

ETA: I have a computer that i plan to use only for this mill.

and here is a review on the kit your concidering it looks nice if your not making your own
http://blog.makezine.com/2011/12/06/kit-review-mini-mill-cnc-conversion/
I used the original lead screws on the sherlines but for anything larger i'd go ball screw for backlash reasons the sherline needs constant backlash adjustment to hold accuracy.
I can also help you find the softwares you need I have mach3 and for the most part everything else i use was free or very low cost.
Illness is keeping me out of my shop so I'm bored and happy to help
steve

and here is a review on the kit your concidering it looks nice if your not making your own
http://blog.makezine.com/2011/12/06/kit-review-mini-mill-cnc-conversion/
I used the original lead screws on the sherlines but for anything larger i'd go ball screw for backlash reasons the sherline needs constant backlash adjustment to hold accuracy.
I can also help you find the softwares you need I have mach3 and for the most part everything else i use was free or very low cost.
Illness is keeping me out of my shop so I'm bored and happy to help
steve

Would the 260 oz in stepper motor be enough to machine aluminum and delrin?

I use 276 oz in on my sx3 conversion for x and y - no problems machining anything I throw at it. Don't consider the motor in isolation through - some motors of much higher rating may not develop anywhere near their rated power because the driver electronics/power supply you have chosen are not up to it. Consider the whole solution.

really like to see a nice write-up with pics as you do the conversion.

It will be a while but i will do. Does anyone here run this setup and if so how is it? Thanks Mike

I used the cncfusion deluxe kit for the conversion of my sx3 and it was excellent. The finish on the parts was perfect and everything bolted in place. My only criticism is that the install video is very dated - he has moved on substantially from then. Shipped in 2 weeks as stated on the web site.

Consult the cncfusion forum (access from his web site) for build threads.

that probotix kit is way over priced and under powered the motors a 280 oz/in holding torque but the drivers and power supply are too small those drivers sell for 6.95 check ebay under stepper motor drivers list low to high when you hit $10.00 you allready passed these cards value . they are sucking in newbies with the 280 oz/in
steve

Back