200 Series NOT BXA?

Extra Fox

Registered
Registered
I have a Grizzly G4003 lathe. It has a quick change tool post (piston style) that appears to be sized for BXA or 250-2xx holders. Grizzly sells these holders for the $40-$65 range, and frankly, they're badly finished and carelessly machined, certainly for that price.

Just back from Grizzly support:
"We appreciate you contacting us with your questions. The quick change tool post on the G4003 Metal Lathe accepts 200 series tool holders. The AXA, BXA or CXA tool holders are not compatible. We have provided a link to view the available tool holder for the G4003 Metal Lathe"

Based on everything I'm seeing everywhere else, BXA and 200 Series seem to be the same thing. I see people listing dimensional drawings of their BXA or 200 Series QC tool holders and posts, and there seems to be a lot of variation, as well as crossover.

I'm not sure if this is a dumb question, but I'm confused here and don't have physical examples to compare. Can I get some straightening out?

I seem to recall this coming up before. For whatever reason, Grizzly doesn't seem to acknowledge that a 200 series toolpost is a BXA.

Damn! I've sold a bunch of 250-201 toolholders to people with BXA toolposts. Funny, no one's complained.

On the upside, unless you buy genuine Aloris, you will be getting the 250-2xx holders.

I wonder if Grizzly is attempting to avoid any possible copyright infringement as well as hoping you will buy their overpriced holders.
I have sold dozens of import holders in sizes from AXA to CA. No reports of problems.

Last edited:
Following up here. I just got an Accusize brand post specifically advertised as BXA style, which came packaged with a few 250-20x holders.

It’s COMPLETELY compatible. The info from Grizzly support is…not accurate. The only dimensional difference is that the Grizzly holders are not as long as the Accusize (~1.875” vs ~2.5”).

Pictured below is the wedge style Accusize toolpost shown with one of the Grizzly holders on it, right next to the original piston toolpost with an Accusize 250-201 holder.

Hope that helps someone else out there.

Attachments

• IMG_4830.jpeg
    IMG_4830.jpeg
    479.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I have a Grizzly G4003 lathe. It has a quick change tool post (piston style) that appears to be sized for BXA or 250-2xx holders. Grizzly sells these holders for the $40-$65 range, and frankly, they're badly finished and carelessly machined, certainly for that price.

Just back from Grizzly support:
"We appreciate you contacting us with your questions. The quick change tool post on the G4003 Metal Lathe accepts 200 series tool holders. The AXA, BXA or CXA tool holders are not compatible. We have provided a link to view the available tool holder for the G4003 Metal Lathe"

Based on everything I'm seeing everywhere else, BXA and 200 Series seem to be the same thing. I see people listing dimensional drawings of their BXA or 200 Series QC tool holders and posts, and there seems to be a lot of variation, as well as crossover.

I'm not sure if this is a dumb question, but I'm confused here and don't have physical examples to compare. Can I get some straightening out?
Be aware we have had conversations about the Grizzly piston type QCTP in the past, there have been problems with them using some holders, the last I remember was issues with some Shars holders, you might want to do a search of the forums.

Thanks for the heads up, I didn’t see that when searching. But no worries, the Grizzly QCTP is a backup piece now. :D

Back