New restoration project! 12" Craftsman lathe.

I just can't believe that the reversing gear can't be quietened down a whole lot more. Later today I'll remove the reversing gear shifter assembly and see if I can adapt a way to add a .001-.002" shim to the bores of the two gears as well as the stud gear shaft. If it works I'll try all the change gear bores with shims. Seems like that is where most of the noise starts. Press fit bronze bushings may be another option. I also ordered another spare lead screw support bearing for the "just in case" scenario!

Last edited:
Suprize, Suprize! It worked! What a "big difference" in noise reduction of the reversing gears and change gear noise! I used .002" shim stock in the reversing gear bores being careful to keep the width inside the width of the gear bushing and not to crinkle the shim stock or overlap the ends. Mine has plastic bearing bushings but I would think it would work just as well with Zmak bushings. I used .0025" paper bag strips to readjust the change gears. If you do this please let us know how it worked for you.

Here's the specs I used: .002" shim stock, 5/16" x 1-9/16", adjust the change gears with .0025 - .003" paper starting right gear to left.

20240518_115900.jpg

OK so it's time to have a big laugh at me. I ordered an AXA QCTP from Amazoo and it just arrived. This QCTP is "humongous". The ad said it would fit my lathe but there is no way! Where did I go astray? Should I have ordered a 250-000 QCTP? My compound slide mount is only 1" wide. What are ya'll using in the way of an economy QCTP and where do you get the mounting bolt and plate? Don't say Aloris please!

Attachments

• 20240519_160644.jpg
    20240519_160644.jpg
    443.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240519_161010.jpg
    20240519_161010.jpg
    422.5 KB · Views: 7
OK so it's time to have a big laugh at me. I ordered an AXA QCTP from Amazoo and it just arrived. This QCTP is "humongous". The ad said it would fit my lathe but there is no way! Where did I go astray? Should I have ordered a 250-000 QCTP? My compound slide mount is only 1" wide. What are ya'll using in the way of an economy QCTP and where do you get the mounting bolt and plate? Don't say Aloris please!

That's the same size QCTP I have on my 10 Inch Atlas. In my case the mounting bolt, t-nut, and flange nut came with the post and I made the plate from 1018 bar stock. But you can make all the parts pretty easily, including making the bolt or purchasing one and modifying it to fit.

I don't see this QCTP as being too big by any means.

Atlas QCTP.jpg

I see the T-nut you made but why the two extra plates under the QCTP? Can you recommend a shorter / smaller QCTP to use the same tool holders I already have? If my 250-000 on my Crafty 6" lathe would work with adequate rigidity I'd just use it.

I see the T-nut you made but why the two extra plates under the QCTP? Can you recommend a shorter / smaller QCTP to use the same tool holders I already have? If my 250-000 on my Crafty 6" lathe would work with adequate rigidity I'd just use it.
That photo is a little misleading. The top of the t-nut is essentially in the same plane as the flat on the compound. So there is only one extra plate which is there because I didn't want to mill the compound in order to clear it when swiveling the tool post.

Since installing the QCTP, I have purchased exclusively 1/2" tool holders. But my lathe came with two tool posts - one a lantern-style post and one a 4-position post, and all the tool bits that came with them was either 1/4 or 3/8" square ground HSS. I use two different thickness shims to raise those tool bits to the same centerline in the QCTP as the 1/2" tool holder. That is my work-around for the smaller tooling.

HTH, and again - great restoration!!!

Last edited:
That's the same size QCTP I have on my 10 Inch Atlas. In my case the mounting bolt, t-nut, and flange nut came with the post and I made the plate from 1018 bar stock. But you can make all the parts pretty easily, including making the bolt or purchasing one and modifying it to fit.

I don't see this QCTP as being too big by any means.
After looking over this new QCTP maybe I ostud boltver reacted about the size. In comparison the 250-000 looks like a toy sitting atop the compound slide! LoL. Guess I just bite the bullet and keep the AXA and buy new tool holders. I'm guessing your getting better versatility with the 1/2" holders.
Do you know the thread of the M14 stud bolt for the QCTP? I used my thread gages and nothing fit. Looks like I'm going to have to buy a tap to make a mounting plate.

Last edited:
Back