Auction find - Is this used to true a grinding wheel?

I personally have found the creative side of machining to be very satisfying. Making tools to achieve a goal or repurposing or modifying a tool. I wouldn’t need a surface grinder to find use for that. The hardest part would be figuring a mount for the tool so I could be used to say radius one side of a wheel of a bench grinder to grind a form tool. Yeah, it’s not something I’d use everyday but when needed it could save a lot of time having to make it.
Your comment brings back a fond memory of my dad. By trade he was a refrigeration mechanic. Mechanics, electrical, and plumbing - he was a jack-of-all trades. He taught me to make my own tools. When he passed, I inherited all the tools in his shop. Many of them were homemade or modified to do something out of the ordinary.

I've been trying to visualize how to convert this thing into a ball turning tool for my lathe.

Thanks for sharing.

Doug

LOL , seems we're all here to help ! momoney
Amen (let it be so). Yesterday, I spent a bit at Northern Tools. A modern welding helmet and a 12 ton shop press, plus some odds and ends. They were having a sale and I had $45 in coupons. That is a perfectly good reason to spend $300.

Amen (let it be so). Yesterday, I spent a bit at Northern Tools. A modern welding helmet and a 12 ton shop press, plus some odds and ends. They were having a sale and I had $45 in coupons. That is a perfectly good reason to spend $300.
wish we had a northern around here.

Your comment brings back a fond memory of my dad. By trade he was a refrigeration mechanic. Mechanics, electrical, and plumbing - he was a jack-of-all trades. He taught me to make my own tools. When he passed, I inherited all the tools in his shop. Many of them were homemade or modified to do something out of the ordinary.

I've been trying to visualize how to convert this thing into a ball turning tool for my lathe.

Thanks for sharing.

Doug
I’ve picked up all kinds of crazy tools in antique stores around here and wondered what in the world they were for. Well anybody looking over my shop would be equally stumped as almost everything I own had been repurposed or modified for my own use and would probably be a total mystery to anybody who was not shown by me. Did your dad show you what everything did?

Back