Fire in the sky

We could see them all the way down here in Georgia...

-Bear

Today I see there is a 70% chance for solar flares as we head towards solar cycle 25. While the
auroras as beautiful to see, the devastation to the electronics in this world could easily do a lot
of harm to humanity. This includes digital readouts, variable frequency drives(VFD), cell phones,
most automobiles, computers, the power grid and countless other electronics. Do a little reading
on "Carrington event" if you want to educate yourself on the subject.

Today I see there is a 70% chance for solar flares as we head towards solar cycle 25. While the
auroras as beautiful to see, the devastation to the electronics in this world could easily do a lot
of harm to humanity. This includes digital readouts, variable frequency drives(VFD), cell phones,
most automobiles, computers, the power grid and countless other electronics. Do a little reading
on "Carrington event" if you want to educate yourself on the subject.
This isn't directed to you, cathead.

Ever hear of the boy that cried wolf?
The media is the boy.

None of the last 20 or so warnings have produced a "Carrington event" or even harmed a single electronic component.
It's time to stop with the scaremongering.

This isn't directed to you, cathead.

Ever hear of the boy that cried wolf?
The media is the boy.

None of the last 20 or so warnings have produced a "Carrington event" or even harmed a single electronic component.
It's time to stop with the scaremongering.
I believe that is not accurate. I believe that I remember hearing about some satellites that were destroyed in the past .

Predicted cloudy most of the night here. Drat. Sort of drizzling now. Not encouraging.
Might have a break in the clouds around 3am, but might not.

Just had a very bright double rainbow down here . Looks like we may get some clearing tonight . :encourage:

Just as a FYI, the solar activity did affect GPS the other day. In Iceland, they are monitoring the ground rise, (inflation) as a proxy for underground magma accumulation. They're trying to predict the next eruption.

The increased ionization of the atmosphere changed the radio propagation times from normal. This resulted in a measurement that was considerably different and less than expected. GPS systems assume constant propagation times. Today, when they redid the measurements it was more inline with previous trends. New measurements were on the predicted trend line. The Icelandic Met office had a note on their website about this.

My friend took some with an Android near Hendersonville NC.
First at sunset-Starlink. My wife actually saw the launch from the Cape on Tuesday. Weird.

1715605603700.png
Same group taken from Charlotte:
1715605663704.png

Later that evening-Aurora
1715605707692.png
Keep looking up!

Back