Grizzly G4000 lathe backorder advice

This is really interesting and surprising. I thought the G0602 was more or less identical to the G9972Z but looking at the parts lists I see there are very few interchangeable parts. I'm also surprised that the height from the cross slide to the centerline is so much smaller than other similar sized lathes. I put a Little Machine Shop AXA QCTP on a Grainger 10x22, actually 9-3/4 x 21-5/8, and it had enough room to use standard AXA holders and 1/2" tools. Kind of disappointing that a major player in the hobby supply chain wouldn’t stick with more-or-less standard dimensions.

The AXA works fine on the G0602 if you don't use 1/2" cutter bits. The 1/2" bit is overkill on the 602 so no great loss in function. I use 3/8" most of the time for HSS or brazed carbide bits. The problem arises if you want to use 1/2" insert tooling. But the Shars 250-101XL will position a 1/2" shank tool just below the centerline. 12mm insert tooling buys an extra .028" of clearance and works fine, at least with the Shars tool holders.
I'm confused above the centerline or below?

I'm confused above the centerline or below?
You want the minimum height of the tool to be at the centerline or below. You can raise the tool above that position but you can't go lower as the tool holder is resting on the top of the compound. Normally, I set my tools at the centerline but occasionally, I might want to go sliglty above or below as the height of the tool relative to the centerline determines the tool top rake.

The AXA works fine on the G0602 if you don't use 1/2" cutter bits. The 1/2" bit is overkill on the 602 so no great loss in function. I use 3/8" most of the time for HSS or brazed carbide bits. The problem arises if you want to use 1/2" insert tooling. But the Shars 250-101XL will position a 1/2" shank tool just below the centerline. 12mm insert tooling buys an extra .028" of clearance and works fine, at least with the Shars tool holders.
"You want the minimum height of the tool to be at the centerline or below. You can raise the tool above that position but you can't go lower as the tool holder is resting on the top of the compound. Normally, I set my tools at the centerline but occasionally, I might want to go sliglty above or below as the height of the tool relative to the centerline determines the tool top rake."

yes im with you but the bold part of your msg is what confused me. as you install larger shank tools the cutting point gets higher so 1/2" should be ok because you can adjust it up, but once the cutting point is too high and you are out of down adjustment is where i run into a problem with larger tools.

This is really interesting and surprising. I thought the G0602 was more or less identical to the G9972Z but looking at the parts lists I see there are very few interchangeable parts. I'm also surprised that the height from the cross slide to the centerline is so much smaller than other similar sized lathes. I put a Little Machine Shop AXA QCTP on a Grainger 10x22, actually 9-3/4 x 21-5/8, and it had enough room to use standard AXA holders and 1/2" tools. Kind of disappointing that a major player in the hobby supply chain wouldn’t stick with more-or-less standard dimensions.
The G0602 was designed to use their 4 way tool post and a 1/2" tool comes in just below the centerline. increasing the heights of the headstock and tailstock would have allowed for use of the AXA QCTP with no problems.

I would be possible to modify the compound and/or the cross slide by shaving the bottoms of the v ways. As much as a .090" drop in the top of the compound could be achieved. One would have to modify the lead screw bearing block(s) or the lead screw nuts as well and possibly the gibs. This wouldn't compromise either rigidity or strength of the cross slide or compound.

I am not bothered by the inadequacy sufficiently to undertake that modification.

<snip> The additional tool holders I've purchased are all Accusize and they accept 1/2" tools as well. The Bostar and Accusize AXA XL holders will take 5/8" tools.

<snip>
Slightly different animal, but I've found that there's a bit of variation in the Accusize holders for my BXA and while they're spec'd 1/2" the majority are either right at 1/2" or slightly under. Interestingly that means that they will all accept most import 1/2" tooling - at least my sampling tends to be slightly less than 1/2", but perhaps 75% of them won't accept "brand name" (Kennametal, et. al) tooling which is pretty precisely 0.50".

That said, I appreciate the nice fit and finish of the Accusize holders - in many ways they're nicer than my Dorian and Aloris holders.

YMMV, of course.

GsT

Back