How to improve torque on Delta VS drill press?

showmedata

Registered
Registered
I have a Delta 17-990X variable speed drill press. It's generally good but one thing frustrates me a lot: at the lowest RPM setting, the belts are loosest and thus it can generate the minimum amount of torque. Drilling and sizable hole in metal almost always results in the bit binding and the belts slipping.

Has anyone found a way to improve the delivered torque at low RPM? I have replaced the belt, and tried belt dressing, both with no improvement.

Thanks.
IMG_6452.JPG

IMG_6451.JPG

You could try bead, or sandblasting the offending pulley sheaves for a better belt traction surface, but if the belt is truly too loose you may have to find a way to tighten the belt in that position. Do any of the pulley bushings have excessive play? Mike

Reactions: jcp
Spray belt dressing might help.

Have you tried tightening the belt by moving the motor back? I would not use belt dressing at all.

Mine is the earlier style of drive so I’m not sure they are the same but mine has motor/tension adjustments. And it’s quite tricky to get the height and parallel to the main hub. Misalignment would cause slipping and noise.

The raw edge notched belts are less prone to slipping than standard wrapped belts. Belt treatment is only a short term solution until the replacement belts arrive, it is BAD for the belts and makes the problem worse.

Make and install an adjustable idler tensioner? It could press on the back of the belt which would both increase tension and give a few more degrees of wrap.

Back