Reporting acquisition of a new to you Craftsman 12" Lathe

wa5cab

Downloads Moderator
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
When you report here that you have or have just acquired a Craftsman lathe built by Atlas, you really should early on in the post either give the the model number and/or say whether it has a 3/8" or a 1/2" bed. Or otherwise ID the vintage. AFAIK, this isn't really necessary with the 10" Atlas as Atlas is not known to have ever offered a 10" with a 1/2" bed.

[ANCHOR=][/ANCHOR]

Last edited:
When you report here that you have or have just acquired a 12" Craftsman lathe built by Atlas, you really should early on in the post either give the the model number or say whether it has a 3/8" or a 1/2" bed. Or otherwise ID the vintage. AFAIK, this isn't really necessary with the 10" Atlas as Atlas is not known to have ever offered a 10" with 1/2" bed.
[ANCHOR=][/ANCHOR]

This 3/8" or 1/2" bed is new specs to me! I've only heard of the bed lengths. Can you edjumacate me please?

Sure. Atlas built lathes of 10" and 12" swing all of which had 3/8" thick ways from their introduction circa 1935/36 until they were discontinued in 1956 or 1957. At that time (which was after Atlas had bought Clausing circa 1952) they were replaced by new machines with 1/2" thick ways. At the same time, they dropped the 18" and 30" between centers machines. The new machines were initially available as bench or cabinet models, etc. These were finally discontinued in 1981, by which time the only model still available was the 12x36 cabinet Model 3996. But I already knew which bed yours had because I had seen photos of it.

Last edited:
Sure. Atlas built lathes of 10" and 12" swing all of which had 3/8" thick ways from their introduction circa 1935/36 u till the were discontinued in 1956 or 1957. At that time (which was after Atlas had bought Clausing circa 1952) they were replaced by new machines with 1/2" ways. At the same time, they dropped the 18" and 30" between centers machines. The new machines were initially available as bench or cabinet models, etc. These were finally discontinued in March 1981, by which time the only model still available was the 12x36 cabinet Model 3996. But I already knew which yours was because I had seen photos of it.
Thanks for the info! Never knew that until now! I'll bet those that had 1/2" ways were really heavy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, I have a 12x36 Model 3996 bought just before Clausing shut down all of the Atlas line except for the Mk2 6", which remained in production for a few more years.

Last edited:
Back