Strange Morse Taper drill bits. What do then fit?

I've often wondered why each Morris & B&S taper has to have been made at a different angle.
Different sized tapers have different amounts of holding power per sqin of surface area and different angled tapers result in more or less grip.

Varying the angle to the size gives a uniform hold in regards to the work envelope of the different sized drills/cutters for that MT#.

I’m just here to register my discontent that you guys haven’t figured it out yet. I thought sure this mystery was solved by now. Lol

I have no guesses by the way. I think a better question might be “How do you intend to use them?”

I have a set of Pratt & Whitney boring tools with Morse #1 shanks.
Before my acquisition 30 years ago, someone turned one down and ground another to fit in a straight chuck or collet:
1716486215879.jpeg

Re: Morse tapers
Morse tapers were created before accurate measurement was available. They were made to fit gauges that were made in house. Later, when accurate measurements were made, the individual tapers varied from the intended 5/8" per foot. Mores tapers were first intended for drilling. Since they were not subject to side loading, they could use a steeper taper than the B&S taper that was used for milling.

There were other tapers used in machinery: Jarno at 0.6"per foot, National Standad at 0.75" per foot. My Nardini lathe has 1:20 taper in the spindle. Don't get me started on the numerous tapers used on grinding spindles.

Back