Tool for Using Dies in Tight Spaces?

To tell the difference between a cutting die and a reforming die look at the teeth of the die. If it cuts chips it is a threading die. If it forms threads , no chips it is a rethreading die. A cutting die can be found round or hex. The outer shape makes no difference. First picture is a rethread die. Second picture both are threading dies.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    310.8 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    300.9 KB · Views: 18
If the dies you have are round and you you have a lathe, the suggestion of boring out a socket wrench and adding a set screw would be easy to do. Sockets are not hard to machine.
Use a deep socket.
I learned to call a hex die a "die nut".
They aren't as good for cutting new threads. Used more for cleaning up damaged ones.

The hex die I bought did the trick. The wheel stayed in place until I managed to locate and order the right studs. Thanks for all the help.

Let's say you want to clean up the threads on a wheel lug stud, but you would like to do it with the hub in place. You can't get a regular die handle in there. There must be a tool for this, like a socket that holds a die. What is it?

I see you've got it done, but yeah... Hex dies and a socket. They don't need to be "good" dies, so long as they're not "forming dies", this will work. Start the die on the stud, put a socket over it, probably one inch in that range. Put a half inch square to quarter inch hex driver in any drill (not impact driver) that you have that has a clutch on it. Start low(ish) and work up if needed. Zip it down and up, you can clean/deburr twenty studs in two minutes. Or if you hit a hard spot, you can use a regular ratchet.

Don't worry about 12 point dies for 12 point sockets. 12 point sockets drive hex dies just fine. It's a gadget that serves no tangible purpose (although the marketing people say it does?), but it does lock you into a non-standard system. Hex dies are dirt cheap, always available, as are all the accessories to go with them, and within the standardized size, they all interchange.

And just on principal, for the archives, as I'm sure you are all ready ahead of me on this one, but if studs need any more than cleaning, or they're buggered up because a wheel ran loose, or they've hit a curb, or other "damage" beyond a little surface rust or dried hardened dirt, consider this. They hold the wheel on. and they are compromised. Good judgement is prudent, and new studs are cheap.

Back