Welcome to The Hobby-Machinist!
This place was founded in September, 2010 so that we could all help one another learn. Please do not ever be afraid to ask a question on THIS forum. We're here to help, not to flame, criticize or judge.
This site is owned by a Not-for-Profit Corporation, (501[c]), with consent from the NYS Department of Education. This site is a strictly not-for-profit, non-commercial, educational site. NO ONE MAKES MONEY FROM THIS SITE.
BY REGISTERING, YOU AGREE TO THE FOLLOWING RULES. YOU WILL BE HELD TO THESE RULES WHETHER YOU READ THEM OR NOT:
ONLY ONE USER ACCOUNT:
1. You may have only ONE user account on H-M, unless we give you permission to have more than one. If we discover that you have more than one account, or "alter egos" on H-M, without our express permission, all of the accounts will be deleted.
ENTER YOUR REAL INFORMATION:
2. You must enter your REAL first and last name and location at the time of registration- no initials, no pseudonyms, no false locations. We verify locations by IP address. Drop your VPN or Proxy service so your actual location at the time of registration shows in your IP. The registrations are reviewed by a REAL person before they are approved! Your name is not visible to other users. If you have privacy concerns, please join another forum. If you do not enter a real name, your account will not be approved.
TELL US WHY YOU WISH TO JOIN:
3. Ideally, you should want to join to ask a question, get help with something or give help. If you only want to join to view photos, attachments, plans, drawings, or download stuff, you are on the wrong forum, and you will be rejected. That is not in keeping with our mission as a learning, discussion community. There are other sites for downloading. We are not interested in building up our membership numbers that way. This is a give and take site. We want participants. You may not join just to sell something or provide a service. This is not a selling or auction site. A sales forum is provided as a convenience to premium members only.
4. When you register, you will supply an introduction telling us: a) your experience in machining; b) machines owned, if any; c) interests in the hobby or profession of machining; and d) your reason for joining the site. Your introduction will appear in the "New Member Introductions & Welcomes" forum and will be your introduction to other members. Introductions should be complete, polite, and provide the above information. We STRONGLY encourage participation on this site. NO ONE will criticize or flame you for participating- EVER! We have a ZERO TOLERANCE for this type of behavior here. Note that if you have a problem entering more than a word or two, this is not your forum. If you put filler in your intro, you will be rejected.
DO NOT REMOVE ANYTHING FROM OUR FORUM:
5. You agree not to remove, delete or disable your photos, drawings or posts should you leave the site, be asked to leave, or be removed. You may not "unsubscribe" from our site or have your account and associated information removed. We will disable your account, upon request, but the information will remain in our database. The accounts on this forum are our property.
DO NOT BULLY OR DISPARAGE OTHERS:
6. You agree that you will treat everyone with respect. You agree not to bully others with your opinions or disparage their opinions. Public tantrums, threats to leave, etc. will not be tolerated. This forum is about machining, let's keep it there! Cyberbullying will NEVER be tolerated on this site. If you are a regular on forums that permit or encourage this, you are unlikely to fit in here.
TREAT VENDORS WITH RESPECT:
7. Vendors are not immune to constructive criticism on this forum. However, where it is clear that someone is acting unreasonably, making unsupported comments and attacks upon the vendor's product and reputation, with some unrealistic agenda in mind, those comments shall be removed, and that person shall face disciplinary action, including removal from the forum. Constructive comments benefit everyone- both the vendor and the end-user, but obnoxious and unsubstantiated attacks serve no purpose other than to wrongfully harm the vendor's reputation, and to create a hostile and unfriendly atmosphere that is inconsistent with our mission and purpose, and shall not be tolerated. All vendors deserve the chance to explain their products, and respond to mindful criticism. If you are joining to attack a vendor's products, do not join this forum.
DO NOT HOLD GRUDGES:
8. You agree not to hold grudges or bring them here. If you can't, or you don't plan to participate because you have a grudge against someone, and feel that you cannot get past it, please go elsewhere. If you have a problem with a member of our staff, do not register.
DO NOT CRITICIZE OR DEFAME THIS FORUM:
9. You agree not to criticize or make any negative comments about this forum on this forum or on other forums. The staff are all volunteers. They do their best. If we see disparaging posts made by you, about us or our forum, here or elsewhere, your membership will be revoked. If you feel our rules are "touchy" or "overbearing," try another forum. Posting that you are "just putting up with us for the information" is not polite. Be polite or go elsewhere. These rules have made this forum what it is today, a popular place where people can interact without being made to feel bad about themselves.
DO NOT SELL PRODUCTS, PROMOTE THYSELF, THY VIDEOS, OR COMPANY OR EMPLOYER, UNLESS YOU ARE A COMMERCIAL MEMBER OR SITE SPONSOR:
10. You will not conduct any commercial or promotional activity whatsoever, including posting links to products, photos of your products, a business phone number, or links to your business website without first becoming a commercial member or site sponsor. You may not do any "digital marketing", whether couched as "explaining" products or otherwise, by posting product photos, YouTube videos, placing your business name or YouTube Channel name in your username, your signature, or your posts unless you have first joined as a commercial member or site sponsor, and paid the applicable fee. Premium membership does NOT entitle you to any commercial activity. Dealers must buy commercial memberships. If you violate this rule you will be charged for advertising, on H-M and hereby agree to pay in full an advertising fee of $100 for each post up to $5,000.
DO NOT POST LINKS TO YOUR YOUTUBE VIDEOS OR CHANNELS ON THIS FORUM:
11. You may not post links to your YouTube channel. You may not post any of your videos UNLESS they are part of our in-house video library: http://www.hobby-machinist.com/gallery/categories/h-m-video-library.3/. If you wish to advertise on our site, we sell commercial and site sponsor account upgrades and banner ads. You may not appropriate our users by advertising your products here for free, or by directing traffic to your YouTube channel to increase views to your YouTube videos. If you want to post your videos, we have an in-house video channel that you may use. We will compensate you with branded merchandise, gift cards, or cash at our discretion pending our approval. If you self-promote, including posting links to your YouTube channel, digital marketing, posting YouTube videos, or promoting or posting photos or YouTube videos under the guise of "answering questions," "helping," or "informing" our users, or otherwise post advertising or promotions for your company, a company you work for, a video channel on YouTube, or pose as a consumer discussing your product, you will be charged for advertising, on H-M and hereby agree to pay in full an advertising fee of $100 for each post up to $5,000.
DO NOT DISCUSS POLITICS:
12. You agree not to discuss politics- EVER. We are a machining site- let's keep it there.
KEEP A CIVIL TONGUE AND HAVE A NON-OFFENSIVE ID:
13. We are a family-friendly forum. You agree to use civil language, and avoid vulgarity. Please use a non-offensive username. That means one that is not vulgar, disparaging or defamatory. Never give your password out to another person except an administrator. Never use another person's account for any reason. We highly recommend you use a complex and unique password for your account, to prevent account theft. Your profile must present clean and accurate information. All posts must be free of innuendo or euphemisms attempting to circumvent the common sense decency rules stated in this rules sections. This includes abbreviations of common vulgar or obscene language or wording.
DO NOT INFRINGE:
14. You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless you own the copyright or you have written consent from the owner and/or author of the copyrighted material. When in doubt, ask permission first.
"FAIR USE" POLICY
We do not profit from any of your posted materials on this site, directly or indirectly.
Your posted threads, posts, projects, drawings, photographs, techniques, and tips will
not be sold to anyone by us for profit or made into a book. Your posted materials remain
your property. By posting, you agree to permit and license us without limitation to use and
display them on the site, and you agree not to remove them, or render them unusable. You
agree not to delete or disable the photos, drawings or posts should you leave the site, be
asked to leave, or be removed. Other than the above license, your postings belong to you,
to share as you see fit with others. This site is a strictly not-for-profit, non-commercial, educational site, and subject to the "fair use" doctrine of copyright law (17 USC §107 - http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html).
DO NOT DEFAME :
15. You agree not to post any material which is false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented,threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, adult material, or otherwise in violation of any International or United States Federal law. Accusations against individuals that cannot be conclusively proven true are defamatory. We do not suborn, encourage, or permit personal attacks on others.
DO NOT PUBLICLY QUESTION THESE RULES:
16. You agree that you will not discuss or question these rules in open forum. If you have a question or disagreement, send a private message to a moderator or administrator. Do NOT start any threads regarding these rules. Violators will be removed from the forum without warning.
DO NOT SPAM:
17. You agree not to engage in spamming, flooding, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and solicitations. Advertising of items for sale must be confined to the for sale and classified sections. Spammers are routinely reported and placed on watch lists. The content of this site, public and private, is monitored for compliance.
DEAL FAIRLY WITH OTHERS:
18. From time to time, members may buy or sell machinist-related items or perform services for one another. This site is not responsible for these arrangements, nor can it act as arbitrator of disputes. Buyers and sellers and service providers do so at their own risk.
Notwithstanding the foregoing, Buyers and sellers agree, by joining, to act in good faith and treat one another fairly. Sellers and service-providers agree to treat buyers in a reasonable and fair manner, by supplying what is paid for; and buyers agree that you will pay for these purchases promptly, and treat sellers fairly. Anyone who, in our exclusive discretion, does not follow this rule, will have their membership terminated.
WHEN IN DOUBT, ASK A MEMBER OF THE STAFF BEFORE YOU ACT!
We reserve our right to do whatever is necessary, whenever is necessary to keep the friendly atmosphere of this site. Remember that although this is a public forum, it is privately owned and not-for-profit. Membership is a privilege, not a right.
DISCLAIMER AND LIMITATION OF LIABILITY (THE LEGAL STUFF!):
Please note that it is impossible for us to confirm the validity of posts. We do not actively monitor or control the content of the posted messages. The information contained on this forum is believed to be accurate. However, we do not warrant the accuracy, completeness, integrity or quality or usefulness of any information presented. We do not assume any responsibility for any inaccuracies or incorrect information encountered on this site. We are not liable for any direct, indirect, special, incidental, consequential damages or losses incurred due to any defect or omission to be found in the materials contained on this forum, even if advised of the possibility of such damages or existing defects. Use of the information provided herein is to be considered strictly voluntary on the part of the user and should be used in conjunction with specific expert advice and professional assistance. The posted messages express the views of the author, and not necessarily our views. Anyone who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to notify an administrator or moderator of this forum immediately. You remain solely responsible for the content of your posted messages. Furthermore, you agree to indemnify and hold us harmless, and any related websites to this forum, its staff, and its subsidiaries. We also reserve the right to reveal your identity (or any other related information collected on this service) in the event of a formal complaint or legal action arising from any situation caused by your use of this forum. We reserve the right to remove objectionable content, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary. This is a manual process, however, please realize that we may not be able to remove or edit particular messages immediately. This policy applies to member profile information as well.
PLEASE REGISTER ONLY IF YOU AGREE TO THE ABOVE!
BY REGISTERING, YOU WILL BE DEEMED TO HAVE READ AND AGREE TO THESE RULES!
THE STAFF AT WWW.HOBBY-MACHINIST.COM
[Revision for videos]
[Revision and Red Text Color]