0-1/2 ULTRA PRECISION KEYLESS DRILL CHUCK

I would not rely a drill any day of the week for a precision hole. But when I spot off with a drill chuck for a drilled hole I would expect it be in the advertised specifications for the drill chuck that I have acquired. but then again, I am fussy. LOL

I purchased (from Precision Matthews) one Keyless Chuck for my lathe, it came with a Morse taper. I found that I could only use it when I tightened it with the spamer (If I spell it right auto entry takes over) that came with it. Hand tight wouldn't hold the drill. With the appliance referenced above (N<span></span>) tight enough to hold the drill, it wanted to turn the Morse taper. I don't use the chuck any more.

I have the Shars version of the same chuck. Compared to my Albrecht (also bought new) it holds it's own and is a pleasure to use. These days I only use drill chucks for drill bits, so I see no issue with reversing as mentioned above. Taps go in tap collets, mills go in mill holders, everything else goes into ER collets, so that really only leaves drills for the drill chuck. Okay, and countersinks, but that's it. If I'm going to the trouble to loosen the draw bar, I may as well use the right method of holding a tool. If that job happens to be shooting holes, these ultra precision import chucks are keen to accomplish the task.

One thing to remember about product specifications is that the spec states (hopefully) the maximum deviation that the product should have. There is a probability that you could purchase one that is absolutely perfect.

An exception would be when a manufacture uses binning; basically sorting product into different bins of varying quality. This is common in the electronics industry. If that is the case, you could be fairly certain that you would never see a product with a better spec. than the maximum deviation of better product. The exception to that exception is that sometimes a manufacturer will run out of stock for the poorer quality product and substitute the better quality product.

It is possible to gain a clearer picture as to actual performance but this would involve sampling multiple items. The larger the sample population, the better the understanding of the performance.

The takeaway for this is, to paraphrase the investment brokers, past performance should not be taken as a guide to future expectations.

I do agree and I have not been troubled by the less than stellar TIR of my Albrecht, though I have been troubled by occasional slippage probably due to the need for an overhaul.
Slippage with Albrecht chucks is almost always from contaminants in the chuck, or more likely from excessive oil in the chuck on the internal spindle threads. They don't typically really need an "overhaul,", just a tear down, proper cleaning of the existing parts, and a proper reassembly using the correct methods for an Albrecht chuck. The best reference online for going through an Albrecht chuck comes from our own "Mikey" on this forum, in this older (2009) step by step tear down and reassembly posting:
Mikey's post is better than the Albrecht factory instructions and the others I have seen...

Back