01 or W2 Tool Steel

Kroll

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Guys I can't remember if I ask this question before I went back few pages and did not find this question.Anyway its hot as heck where I live so planning few project for this fall when its little cooler.
Chuck Key:Guys I need to make couple different size chuck keys which I do plan on heat treating maybe just the square ends so that they will last.But I would also like to blacken them heating up and quenching in oil to help prevent rust since its also so dang humid.The size is for 8" chuck and the other is a 5" chuck.I was some Youtubes on making chuck keys but seems some use W2 and others use 01,but which one would be best for a first timer?

Agreed, tough better than hard. Never made mine out of hardening steel. Would be easy to over harden it and have it crack easily.

If you want them to look dark, you could phosphate them (i.e. parkerize). Just not for stainless steels. I do a lot of parkerizing for gun related projects.

From 304 stainless.
Overkill, but makes a nice tool.
e7dac932511eeb46334ace01da7e4e79.jpg

Oh my that looks awesome Pontiac 428,Doc love your ideal of making them out of stainless.Not only would they look good but the ideal of no rust is fantastic.I sure would like to take you up on your offer to give SS a try,SS is a material that I always wanted to try make knobs out of but never thought about anything else.

I guess it mostly depends on the size of your chuck and how much you'll be reefing on it... Stainless might hold up OK. But, if I was to make one I think I would consider pre-hardened 4140 (brake die). Or, if it's a smaller chuck, I think I would use an allen screw which is grade 8 or some other grade 5 or 8 bolt. B7 would be a great material to use as well.

So, as usual, it comes down to what you need in the end. Stainless is great because it doesn't rust, but I'm not sure how well it will hold up for a larger chuck that you will be cranking down on. Probably good for lighter duty, but some of these guys that have used it know best how it will hold up.

Ted

Stressproof is readily available and machines beautifully. Strength is 100,000 psi.

To me, the chuck is the expensive part. Makes more sense to make the chuck key out of softer material than the socket it is engaging on the chuck. If the key becomes deformed it is no big deal to make another. If the socket deforms, the chuck is scrap. No?

Craig

Back