1 1/2 -8 spindle actual size

I just dealt with this exact same issue with a 30+ year old Enco dividing head. The spindle is actually 1 1/2 X 8, however it was not ground after being hardened. The collar that came with the dividing head fit my South Bend 9 just fine. Some of my looser chucks would thread on a turn and a half, but no further.

I much more accomplished metal worker help me grind the threads deeper, it now takes all of my 1 1/2 X 8 stuff.
Also, the spindle taper is B&S 0 not Morse #2.

-Dave

It should be easy to set the taper, swing the compound to where it looks good, put a Dial Test Indicator on the exact vertical center of the taper and adjust the compound until there's no indicator movement when cranking the compound in and out.
Yes, I did that when making a dead center for the spindle of my lathe. The taper on it was also unknown but the shop made one works excellent.
Thanks
Aaron

I'm not sure where this came from but I can not find any info about B&S 0

Brown & Sharp tapers, come in a bunch of sizes - dividing heads listed on ebay are often labeled BSO or BS0.

Manufacturers all had different tapers (and dovetail angles) to capture customers.

-Dave

Yes, I did that when making a dead center for the spindle of my lathe. The taper on it was also unknown but the shop made one works excellent.
Thanks
Aaron
Make sure that the dial indicator is exactly at spindle height for the measuring, and the tool is exactly at center height for cutting the taper, or it will not end up the correct taper when cut.

Back