1 ½ X 8 threading

dgehricke

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I was reading the MOLO for the 10F lathe and in the set up for the 1 ½ X 8 is fig.2 and in the text it stipulates that the 32 tooth gear in the set up should be changed. I don't understand the logic as text also states that the 2 gears are only idlers and or spacers.
Can anyone give me some info on this and how would I address it.
Thanks
dgehricke

I think it has to do with bridging the gap with large enough gears from the spindle to the leadscrew given the limits of the banjo and which gears you can put where. Remember too that coarse threads like 8 tpi require that the leadscrew spin pretty fast and this puts a lot of strain on the geartrain. Make sure your carriage moves freely with no tight spots and that your leadscrew is clean and free of chips
mark

Mark,
Thanks for the response I'll keep reading and looking to see what I can come up with.
Thanks again.
dgehricke

Are you missing some of the gears called out for in the chart?

Looking at the 10F threading chart, 8tpi and 4TPI use a 32T gear as the screw gear, the smallest size screw gear on the chart. Both use a 48T idler to drive the screw gear. All of the rest of the threads on the chart use a 36T or larger idler.

All the gears are present my question is why are some gears being changed out for different idlers ?

I think the idea is to use as large a diameter gear as possible for idlers to minimize the wear- spread out the forces over more teeth
also keeping in mind the available gearset and the limits of the banjo like I mentioned in post #2

I don't have a 10" but as I pointed out last night, it appears to be a simple matter of mechanics. Using a gear smaller than 36T as the Screw Gear requires a gear larger than 32T in position B. And a corresponding smaller one in position A, just so that they will fit.

If you don't want to just accept it, try it the other way and see what happens. :cool:

I'm going to try it a few different ways.I have also downloaded a few MOLOs and they are all different.
Thanks for the help.
dgehricke

The Atlas MOLO was reprinted 32 times up through 1988 when the 33rd (and still current) edition came out. Roughly one-sixth cover the Atlas F-Series Ten Inch and one-sixth cover the 101.07403 and 101.07383. Two cover the QC as well. Two cover the 101.27430 and 101.27440. At least one covered the Atlas Six Inch and there might have been one that covered the 101.07301, although I haven't yet found it.

Download the Atlas MOLO history and the selection chart from Downloads. It will show you the way to ID the various versions. You will want a Version 8 as described in the history. Note that I assigned the version numbers so neither Clausing nor anyone else except the few who may have read my history will have a clue as to what the version numbers mean.

Back