1 1/4"- 4 TPI Acme lead screws

I'm assuming you mean 3/8-28, parts turned out nice. So that's what an old Hardinge looks like, also noticed 5 chucks on the turret and 5 chuck keys on the bench.
Actually 1/8-28 BSPP is 1/8-28 British Standard Pipe Parallel, BSPT is British Standard Pipe Tapered, many machines and components made in Europe use BSPT for fluid couplings. BSP threads are 55 Deg. included Whitworth.

We are not a production shop, I use what drill chucks are lying about, different chucks different keys. This can be annoying as one may imagine.
That Hardinge lathe could well be 40+ years old, a most excellent machine and is nearly silent at 4000 RPMs, you could buy 10 import lathes today for what that machine cost in 1970.

Last edited:
No offence of any type meant, i just looked at my MOLO book and now see the thread size. As far as the Hardinge goes, i agree that older american built machinery is far superior. I my-self have a wonderful Atlas 618 that is about 65 years old that i would not trade for a dozen imports.

No offence of any type meant, i just looked at my MOLO book and now see the thread size. As far as the Hardinge goes, i agree that older american built machinery is far superior. I my-self have a wonderful Atlas 618 that is about 65 years old that i would not trade for a dozen imports.

No offence taken, British Pipe threads are uncommon in the US so not widely known outside of industry, a plumber in the US that threads NPT all day long every day could not visually determine the difference, I have been turning threads for 30+ years and could not tell the 1TPI and angle difference by eye.

If you can do that you are a Wizard (-:

Last edited:
Back