1-2-3 Block Recommendations?

I do love well made precision tooling. Everything Suburban Tool makes is really nice. I just can't justify the cost for the low tolerance stuff I (i pretend to) machine.

Try to find a set that the bolts will fit through the unthreaded holes. There are a lot of sets out there on ebay and through some importers that the bolts don't fit. I have a set that I got from enco and not being able to use the included bolts they have very limited uses.
If you can talk with the seller to make sure that they do otherwise you are wasting your money.
Brown & Sharp 1-2-3 blocks have the tapped hole in them I have two sets
I love them

I buy a lot of my tools second hand i have a guy near me deals in good quality used tools from companies that have shut down some is ex military very good value it some time pay's to shop around/

Second the Suburban Tools 1-2-3 blocks. Yes, they are expensive but will last a lifetime if cared for.

The Suburban tool's one look very nice i have got stuff from the little machine shop in the past they are a nice firm to deal with also some time buy from US ebay i have a Atlas 10 lathe love the US made machine's and tool's but the post to the UK kills it. Just got a Rhodes shaper machines made in the USA and England back in the old day's were made to last now it all come from the over sea's.
Love the forum some great stuff on here have spent a lot of time just reading the post i'm a new boy on here but hope to pick a few tips from you guy's my main love is steam engines big and small.

I just bought the cheap sets and re drilled the holes with good bits...

One thing I've notice a difference between offshore and American made ones is the details. The hole clearances like said and the worst thing is crowning around all the holes. Blue up a surface plate and rub. Every hole will have a ring around it and nothing surrounding it. I have both solid a ones with holes. Precise ones and shop ones.

I just bought the cheap sets and re drilled the holes with good bits...

I was thinking about drilling the holes out to body size as well. The tapped holes in my cheap set are 3/8" x 16tpi. The untapped holes measure around 0.350" (not 5/16" as others have noted) So the holes are only about 0.025" undersized. 1

So KBletz, how difficult were they to drill? Did you destroy any drill bits?

Back