1/2" end mill pulling out of collet

I am definately going to try and go for a set torque for the collets. I definately dont want this to be a recurring issue. I like the DA180's because they dont taper lock like the TG75's do. I have to use my shop press to remove the collets out of those... Thats too much hassle and I cannot use double ended tooling as the press will destroy one end every time.

If your tg75 are getting stuck then your collet nut is probably broken. Just pick up a set of er32 and you should be fine.

I don't use DA collets but I know you can get non-pull out collets that are used with Weldon style cutters.

I've never had any problems with the larger DA collets, but I did break some nuts on the small ones. Get some rigid tool holders and grind your own flats where they need to be. I found a decent selection of NMTB 30 holders at Grizzly, reasonably priced.

I was having a problem with my end mills slipping out of the R8 collets. I replaced the draw bar, I bought it from H&W Machine or is it H&H, no H&W. It solved my problem.

Way back when in my apprenticeship my buddy scrapped a very expensive pump shaft on a DeVleig jig bore when the end mill pulled out . He was machining a precision keyway . We had to re-make the entire shaft . All apprentices were shown what had happened . End mill holders were always used after that . Make sure your end mills are pulled down to the top of the flats also . If it moves , at least it moves up and not down into your part !

I was having a problem with my end mills slipping out of the R8 collets. I replaced the draw bar, I bought it from H&W Machine or is it H&H, no H&W. It solved my problem.

Until last night.
I was using a 3/8 center cutting end mill, the tool moved up in the collett as I was bringing the quill down for another pass in a pocket. I then lost confidence in the DRO readings.
Even though the DRO reads movement, I started over with the set-up.
I guess i'll need to convert to flats on the end mills and modifying the R8 collets ?

Last edited:
I use an R-8 spindle and a combination of End Mill holders with Set screws and Collets. No problem getting the Set-Screw holders.

I use an R-8 spindle and a combination of End Mill holders with Set screws and Collets. No problem getting the Set-Screw holders.

Yes, I also had troubles with my R8 collets, mainly the 3/4” endmills. So I bought a 3/4” tool holder, Problem fixed.

Back