1/2" Indexable Boring Bar

This application is a through hole in cast iron, probably no more than .050'" to clean up a vise I bought a while back that's binding.

Of course I want to get tooling that will have other uses as well. Maybe a set like this?

I'd only need the longest one for my task, could buy a single but maybe I should be ready for future jobs....

John

If it were me, I would go for this M42 set from KBC Tools. Good guys, good tools.

I found this: Solid Carbide 1/2" Indexible Boring Bar. Yes, it's for a lathe and it's 5-1/2" long, but the 1/2" carbide shank will be stiffer than anything else you'll find

I have that exact bar... I've had no issues at all making light cuts at slower speeds in cast iron, steel, stainless, and aluminum. The only issue is the length, if you don't have a lot of clearance on your mill.

-Bear

Hey Firstram,
Is that a Chandler boring head? I bought one and still haven't used it yet. I need to make an arbor for it first.
Does it work as good as they say?
Joe

Hey Firstram,
Is that a Chandler boring head? I bought one and still haven't used it yet. I need to make an arbor for it first.
Does it work as good as they say?
Joe
It is, I bought it from a member on here. It's a little stiff but smooth, I'll pull it apart for a cleaning one of these days.

Back