Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
What does one do with this?
Why is it cut like that?

1592500699646.png

While we are on the subject.
What lube do I use on a dead center?
Way oil doesn't work. Ask me how I know :)

I've had good luck with high temp grease but then I rarely use a dead center when turning for extended periods of time or at high rpm. Mostly I use it when threading as the smaller diameter of the center allows the tool holder to fit. When threading anything under 3/4 inch or so my tool holder or QCTP hits the bearing housing on the live center. Since I am already running slow it is pretty easy to drop the dead center in and get on with it rather than making all sorts of changes on the tool holder which would throw the threads off time. So I do the turning work using the live center and switch to the dead center to thread. Heat buildup is never an issue.

I've also found high temp grease is not terrible as cutting oil. It doesn't smoke as much as oil and being in the basement that is always a concern. Wife gets nervous when she sees smoke coming up through the floor while she is watching TV.

I've also found high temp grease is not terrible as cutting oil. It doesn't smoke as much as oil and being in the basement that is always a concern. Wife gets nervous when she sees smoke coming up through the floor while she is watching TV.
I've often wondered how you guys in your basement shops dealt with smoke??
High temp grease, check.

Back