1/4-28 old style insert insertion tool

Mutt

Registered
Registered
I was wondering if there is any one on this forum that might have a good used 1/4-28 Heli coil insert insertion tool they would be willing to sell me. The ones that come in the new helicoil sets SUCK. Most useless to me in all but a perfect situation (of what I rarely ever have) I need the tool that look like this one,
insert.jpg

not this one
insert.jpg

I understand your problem. The insert tool in the second pack is useless . I couldn't make that style work no matter what I did. Solution was to make a tool similar to the first one. Turned an undersized thread by about 5 thousands of so. Depends on the size of the insert. Then cut a notch on the face of the undersized bolt that would catch the insert tang. Basically copied the old style insert tool. Worked just fine. Could even just take a bolt of the proper size and cut a drive notch . Can not figure out why change something that worked just fine to something that is unusable.

Just make one out of a correct sized bolt by cutting off 1/2 the top to make a step that will pick up the tang. In the old days when they actually gave you a tool like a speed wrench to put the inserts in all they had was a slot in the top of it, it didn't even thread into the insert, it was undersized.

Stop using Heli-Coils they are awful in my opinion.
Try a TIME-SERT they are a true thread replacement insert.

Here is a link to their site:

Just make one out of a correct sized bolt by cutting off 1/2 the top to make a step that will pick up the tang. In the old days when they actually gave you a tool like a speed wrench to put the inserts in all they had was a slot in the top of it, it didn't even thread into the insert, it was undersized.
Exactly, any bolt of the correct thread diameter and pitch grind a step and away you go.

Stop using Heli-Coils they are awful in my opinion.
Try a TIME-SERT they are a true thread replacement insert.

Here is a link to their site:
I have been installing Helicoil inserts for more than 3 decades and have NEVER had a failure. They are stronger than the original threads in most cases.

2 problems with Timeserts. They are WAY too expensive and they don't come in off-the-wall sizes. I ordered some 1/4-24 helicoils to repair a hole. I made a tool out of a 1/4-24 bolt and it didn't work. Thanks Nutfamer for letting me know that the threads need to be undersized, as that was the problem when I installed the coil and kept screwing it up. Wasted a few coils in the process.
So I just saw a picture of the old style driver, sorta a speed wrench type. It doesn't have any threads at all.Just a slot on the end and a collar stop on it's shaft. That should be a lot easier to make than machining an undersized bolt and it will fit all 3 of the 1/4" thread pitches to boot !!!!!!!! Seems like helicoil should have kept this style driver, Seems like it would be cheaper to manufacture too

Back