1/6th scale 1890's 30ft navy steam cutter (live steam)

micro turning day,, decided not to use the stuart type cylinder cocks I bought.. they look good but not scale,, set out to make my own,, made several failures before getting something I liked,, they will get the drain holes drilled closer to final assembly.. made some other parts and gave the blocks valve faces a final finish.. slim is not impressed with my thumbprint..

Attachments

• IMGP0066.JPG
    IMGP0066.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 67
  • IMGP0071.JPG
    IMGP0071.JPG
    510.5 KB · Views: 60
  • IMGP0072.JPG
    IMGP0072.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 56
made the valve rods and the link sliding blocks,, yet another morning with the opto-visor on.. some bolt heads and nuts may have to shortened for clearances but it all looks like it will work..

Attachments

• IMGP0077.JPG
    IMGP0077.JPG
    493.7 KB · Views: 54
Really enjoying the updates, keep em coming :)

had to get the main bearing caps milled and cleaned up,, thought about a fixture doing them one at a time,, came up with another method that worked well,, some sacrificial brass screws were used along with some paper to hold things tight to the shaft,, caps are all milled to the base,, still will need a little file work, holes drilled for the oil cups (and make the oil cups, will have to do a part count for this little engine) needed some more hardware (like the brass cap screws) ordered from BA bolts in the UK,, 2 weeks from online order to mailbox with very good prices..

Attachments

• IMGP0089.JPG
    IMGP0089.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 44
  • IMGP0088.JPG
    IMGP0088.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 48
Last edited:
the bearing caps milled well,, they have been drilled for oil cups,, eccentrics had their set screws drilled and tapped, the main frame and base were given a bead blast clean-up,, working on the links and linkages,, getting very close to assembly..

Attachments

• IMGP0093.JPG
    IMGP0093.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 34
  • IMGP0094.JPG
    IMGP0094.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 39
That type of connecting rod construction is known as "Strap, Gib. & Cotter" the cotter is the wedge that adjusts the clearance, the gib is the piece that holds the legs of the strap together and provides the taper for the cotter to bear against.

The type of connecting rod that Stuart uses was known as the "marine type", the Navy type K launch engine used it instead of the type used on the earlier Navy type B engine that is being modeled here.

Back