1" boring bar recommendations

I solved my problem for a 1" bar - bought a Kennametal on ebay last night at a very attractive price. (Thanks to one of my friends who saw this thread and sent me a note.)

Based on feedback here and a couple of PMs I got, I am going to study solid carbide bars for a bit and make sure my purchase decision is based on a better understanding than I had up to this point. I want to make sure I am "buying once" when I pull the trigger on the solid carbide bars.

Thanks for all the great feedback.

If interested I've got a large box of Everedes which take the triangular inserts, if that would work for you.
Various diameters and lengths with several duplicates.
PM me, if I have extra of whatever you might be looking for, then I'm sure we can get you a price which fits your needs and budget.

Daryl
MN
Daryl,

You have any smaller than 3/8" OD?

Ken

Back in the day when carbide bars were unheard of, you had no choice but use what you had. Generally a homemade bar of what ever steel you had on hand. I remember doing bores in the 5/8 - 3/4 diameters by 3 to 4" deep using a steel bar and high speed steel tool bit. Had to play around with tool bit geometry to get it to cut without chatter. It did work! Today, well, too spoiled to using carbide tooling.

Yup, you use what you got. Deep holes with small ID's are problematic when all you have is a steel bar but it can be done. I remember doing a 4" deep bore with a steel boring bar about 20 years ago. Had a piston fit and had to drill a hole in the top to let the air out so it would seat. I do agree, Ken; carbide makes life so much easier!

Most are larger. However, I think there are some .25 shank. I'll want to check for duplicates.
Most had cutters when I scored them. However, I've been using the cutters instead of buying new.
Some of the bars were like new, others were pretty beat up when I got them. I've held on to them with the intent of re-purposing...
I'll check and update for some small ones.

Daryl
MN

Thank you Daryl. I have plenty of HSS triangle tool bits for the smaller bars. Really have plenty for all bars sizes up to 1".

Back