1 inch pitch diameter spur gears

eugene13

Registered
Registered
I need two 1 inch pitch diameter aluminum spur gears, if anyone knows where to buy them that will be OK, but if someone wants to make some, nows the chance to dust off your hobbing machine and make some chips.

Not enough info as to diametral or circular pitch; you need to read up on the subject.

You buy the gears from Boston Gear. They have many distributors. You buy the convolute gear cutting wheels from most all suppliers. You make your own gear hobbing and convolute cutters from spec's in Machinery Handbook. lots of You Tube videos.
As Benmychree stated above, you need more specifics for any one to help you.

Add to Ozzie46, material. Brass, bronze, aluminum, cast Iron, nylon, delrin, steel, plastic and I probably missed a couple.

Case in point, I need two NA90 and one NA22B gears for a Steam Donkey. You need to actually look up the Boston Gear specifications to find that these gears come in two different shaft sizes, so you can't just Google the part number. So far there is a $60 price spread between vendors.

For example, NA90 specifications: 14.5 Degree Pressure Angle, 3/8 Face, 90 Teeth, 4-1/2 PCD 1/2" Bore, Cast Iron.
In your post above you want 1" aluminum spur gears. Is that outside diameter Or PCD diameter?

I have two shafts that I need to turn 90 degrees in opposite directions, they are 1 inch from center and the gear should be 1/2 inch wide with a 1/4 inch center hole. Here's a picture of the device I need to actuate, it's a clamp that holds a soda bottle to an air nozzle. You fill a soda bottle about 3/4th full of water, clamp it in the launcher, inject 90 psi of compressed air then open the clamp and watch the bottle fly into the air. Not to be flippant, but all the technical stuff doesn't matter, I just need two gears. Thanks
IMG_0040 (1).JPG

We used to do this all the time with the Cub Scouts. You would be surprised how high a 2 Liter bottle can fly. I don't remember the release mechanism. Another leader brought it. We used an air compressor and gauges to monitor the pressure before release. You want a fast release, not slow, so gears if you use them will have to have very few, large teeth. Not to be "flippant" But you still have to figure it out. You might want to try making some gears out of wood for a trial.

I wouldn't use gears at all. Put two round disks on the shafts. Put a groove in one and a key in the other. That locks them together. Make a bracket close to the outside of one disk. Drill a hole in the disk and put a pin through the bracket into the disk. Attach a cable to the pin. Pull out the pin and let the bottle pressure revolve the shafts for release. That keeps the operator at a safe distance. He will still get wet. We did anyway.

Google Boy Scouts water bottle rocket. I see a similar setup to what we used. The bottle sits on the launcher and you inject a pulse of air to launch. In that case, you wouldn't need any gears at all, just let the bottle open the "locks".

Back