• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

• As some of you know, I have wanted to stop managing H-M for some time. It's a tremendous strain on my personal life. I want to set up my own shop. In September, September 15, to be exact, it will be 8 years that Hobby-Machinist has been in existence.

I have been training VTCNC to run things here. Dabbler is going to learn too. I feel that they are ready to start taking over the operation. I will be here to help in case they need, but I don't think they will. Tony Wells is and will be here also to consult with. I will be doing backups, upgrades, and installing addons. Other than that, I will not be around. I am leaving this place in good operating condition, and financial condition.
    --Nelson
[4]

1 to 2 inch micrometer

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

rock_breaker

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
I am considering buying a 1 to 2 inch micrometer but know it will get limited usage. I noticed a sales flyer on Phase II that easily fits my budget and have also seen much more expensive tools advertised. My question is about the repeatability of the Phase II tools. Obviously you get what you pay for but would this unit be satisfactory if only used 4 or 5 times a year? I would certainly appreciate responses from actual user of these tools.
RAY

Dave Paine

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I have not considered repeatability before. I have micrometers which have been used less very infrequently. I feel if you have a standard to recalibrate the micrometer, you should get repeatable results.

I do find tools and machines can require recalibration over time. It may be due to use, but in some cases even with limited use, things move. I do not know why, but it happens.

If I am doing an operation which requires tight tolerance, it is always good to check calibration.

Hukshawn

Titanium
Former Member
I find it odd that someone only uses a 1-2" mic 4-5 times a year.
But, that said, I have a good digital mitutoyo 0-1, and a Moore and Wright I like as well, but my 1-2 up to 6" are all cheap Chinese. I've never experienced any issues with repeatability. The Chinese ones are just Dial and not vernier, but my hobby stuff isn't down to the ten millionths the mitutoyo is or even the tenths the Moore and Wright is, but they work just fine.

benmychree

John York
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Small mikes are quite cheap on e bay, that is where I would go, either Starrett or Brown & Sharpe; Tumico is good too and also Lufkin; look at ones that still have all the paint on the frames and no rust or nicks. I have been using the same mikes since the 1960s, and if well taken care of, they retain their accuracy.

Ray C

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
RockBreaker... Check your inbox.

Ray

[6]
[5] [7]