1 to 2 inch micrometer

rock_breaker

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I am considering buying a 1 to 2 inch micrometer but know it will get limited usage. I noticed a sales flyer on Phase II that easily fits my budget and have also seen much more expensive tools advertised. My question is about the repeatability of the Phase II tools. Obviously you get what you pay for but would this unit be satisfactory if only used 4 or 5 times a year? I would certainly appreciate responses from actual user of these tools.
RAY

I have not considered repeatability before. I have micrometers which have been used less very infrequently. I feel if you have a standard to recalibrate the micrometer, you should get repeatable results.

I do find tools and machines can require recalibration over time. It may be due to use, but in some cases even with limited use, things move. I do not know why, but it happens.

If I am doing an operation which requires tight tolerance, it is always good to check calibration.

I find it odd that someone only uses a 1-2" mic 4-5 times a year.
But, that said, I have a good digital mitutoyo 0-1, and a Moore and Wright I like as well, but my 1-2 up to 6" are all cheap Chinese. I've never experienced any issues with repeatability. The Chinese ones are just Dial and not vernier, but my hobby stuff isn't down to the ten millionths the mitutoyo is or even the tenths the Moore and Wright is, but they work just fine.

Small mikes are quite cheap on e bay, that is where I would go, either Starrett or Brown & Sharpe; Tumico is good too and also Lufkin; look at ones that still have all the paint on the frames and no rust or nicks. I have been using the same mikes since the 1960s, and if well taken care of, they retain their accuracy.

Back