1"x1"x.125" 6061 aluminum angle with square inside corner

ChrisAttebery

Rocket Nerd
Registered
Hello,

I'm looking for 1" x 1" x .125" 6061-T6 aluminum angle that has square inside corners. I've looked around and I can't seem to find it anymore. All I can find is 6063 with square corners or 6061 with rounded corners. I have a little left, but I'm going to need more sooner or later.

The product I make with it needs a square inside corner but 6063 is terrible to machine.

Any leads would be appreciated,

Chris

I bought some from BMG Metal in Virginia within the last year but I don’t know how widespread they are of if they ship.

If the parts are short enough, as an option, just mill the corner square.

That's an option of last resort. I'd like to avoid machining the corners to preserve the extruded finish. I also do all of the machining from the outside of the material. This would add another operation.

If you have a place near you that does glass or window working, they will have what you need

As a comment, not to be taken too seriously. There are generally two kinds of angle iron or aluminium. The most common is as rolled or extruded, with a slight radius on the inside and a relatively sharp corner on the outside. The other is simply a flat that is rolled into an angle, having radii both inside and outside. I realize this doesn't help much, it's just the way it is. The sharp inside corner weakens the angle by a significant amount. To find angle with a sharp inside corner, you're going to need to look to specialty suppliers. And keep a close watch on your wallet when you do. You might consider rethinking the design to that point as well. Cheaper in the long haul... ...

Look for Architectural aluminum angle. The rounded is termed structural. There are several suppliers of the type you want.
i.e. architectural. Online metals has it as one source.

I've been using the 6063 architectural aluminum angle from Online Metals but it is miserable to machine. They don't sell architectural in 6061.

I have some scraps of 6061 architectural aluminum angle that I've had for years. So I know it WAS available at one time.

I have another product that I make from architectural aluminum T Stock. I found a place that carries it in 6061 and ordered a stick, but they don't have the angle in 6061.

I checked McMaster. They only 6061 with square corners in 1/16" wall.

Thanks for all of your replies.

Chris

Look for Architectural aluminum angle. The rounded is termed structural. There are several suppliers of the type you want.
i.e. architectural. Online metals has it as one source.

Back