10" Atlas Countershaft Question

Weldo

Registered
Registered
Howdy gents! For a long time I've been using my Atlas lathe on the low range only. The reason is that years ago when I restored this machine I tried high range and it had a vibration. That, and since I was new to running a lathe the high speed made me a little bit nervous...

Well now I want to take advantage of all the speeds this lathe can offer. I tried high range just today and the vibration I remember is not as bad as I remember. On the highest speed there's a very slight shake but I don't think it would cause a problem. So my first question is what should I check to track down a high speed vibration? I'd like the machine to run silky smooth on the highest speed if possible.

Next question, what's the factory solution for lubricating the jack shaft? Or is it called a counter shaft?

I've been pumping some grease (Lucas X-tra Heavy Duty) into the fittings on occasion but when running in high range the grease flings out in small droplets. You can see the grease on the wall behind the machine. Of course some of it also flings forward onto the operator.

EM520910.JPG

I seem to remember something about felts to seal the shaft collars. Does anyone have a factory spec on those felts or perhaps a place to get reproduction parts? When I restored the lathe I don't remember if it had felts there or not.

Here's a few more shots of the bearings.

EM520911.JPGEM520912.JPG

Thanks for reading!

the original lubrication for the lathe was oil
grease will work, but may attract and trap unwanted particulates.
if i'm not mistaken the felt is on the carriage wipers, i don't think they had wipers on the drive and driven shafts

Would not worry about throwing a little grease. It just shows that there is lub when it's a plain bearing. That normal . If it was a sealed bearing like a ball bearing it would mean it was over greased and the seal was blown out.

Here's a few old pictures from the rebuild.

It appears to be grease on the bearings when they were disassembled. Also would not the grease fittings indicate the use of a grease gun for lubrication?

DSCN2558.JPG

DSCN2562.JPG

Does anyone foresee a problem with trying to seal the collars to the cast bearing holder? Maybe with a felt ring on either side or perhaps a large O-ring?

I made a couple bent tin shields that were held in place with a magnet. It would stop the lube from reaching the wall or me! They were just u shaped. I will see if I have a picture showing them. If you look closely on the counter shaft you can see the right hand tin shield I made up.

40E7F8FD-5D4D-4B6E-963E-A3CD2C15B026.jpeg

Just found these on ebay! Ordered a set.

The listing says that SAE20 oil is recommended for these bearings. I just assumed since they had grease fitting that grease should be used. There's not any problem using grease in place of oil is there? I suppose that I can clean out the grease when I install the new felt washers, but can you use a grease fitting for oil? Is there a special gun for that?

My lathe had grease cups on the 2 ends of the countershaft and even once and a while, I would give each a single turn to force more grease into the bearings. Maybe others used oil unlike my antique.
Pierre

First, the Xerk (grease) fittings are not original. As Pierre said, the countershaft spindle on both vertical and horizontal countershafts originally came with a grease cup screwed into each end. The holes in the end continued into the spindle from each end and the spindle was cross-drilled in about the center of the bearings. If yours isn't then it isn't original. However, the only thing wrong with having Xerk fittings instead of grease cups is that you are probably putting in too much grease each time.

Second, you need to order from Clausing four of part # 9-111 and install one at each end of each bearing to limit grease slinging. And use less grease.

SAE-20 has never been in the lube chart for the Atlas 10" countershaft spindle bearings. It is used on the Craftsman 12" which has Oilite Bushings instead of straight roller bearings.

I'm unfamiliar with what a grease cup is. @pdentrem mentioned something about turning them to force grease into the bearings? So a grease cup is like some kind of mini screw press?

And if I understand the explanation offered by @wa5cab, the counter shaft is drilled axially to a certain depth, probably just a little bit past the center of where the bearing rides on the shaft. At that location the shaft is also drilled radially. You would then pack the grease cup by hand and then the grease cup is turned which forces grease through the axial hole until it comes out the radial hole and into the bearing rollers.

So grease is the correct lube for these roller bearings? I don't have a lube chart but it seems like even with the felt washers liquid oil would just seep out.

As far as how much grease, isn't it usually recommended to pump in grease until you see it just start to seep out of the joint? That's how I do the U-joints on my truck. I've heard some say that you should pump in new grease until you see that new grease forced out of the joint, the idea being that you should try to displace the old grease with new.

Thanks for the help so far!

Back