$10 Calipers To Dro

fgduncan

Active User
Registered
$10 Calipers to DRO

Having studied the workings of digital calipers, I realized that they could be trimmed to make perfectly functional DRO’s. Harbor Freight has these for sale, with a coupon, for $10. The pictures show what has to be trimmed off leaving behind the LCD Screen with the depth blade and the sliding ruler.

I used a Dremel tool with a cutoff blade and it took less than 10 minutes to finish removing the non-essentials.

I needed a DRO for the tailstock ram on my lathe, but it had a travel of about 3 inches. I trimmed off the sliding ruler to the length I needed and it continued to work just fine.When I had finished trimming, I put the sliding ruler on my mill and used a carbide mill to clean up the rough edges. The Dremel would have done a serviceable job, too.

The rulers are made of hardened steel and I had nothing that would drill through it. I used the edge of the cut-off wheel to carve half-round notches in the sides of the sliding ruler which just accepted half of a screw. When the sliding rule was placed on the bracket, the notches lined up with the screw holes and the sliding rule was secured. The depth blade was clamped in position and everything worked just fine. The notches can be seen on the left end of the sliding rule below.

The only other modification I would recommend is to glue a piece of transparent plastic over the LCD screen since it is a little delicate. You might also consider putting the LCD screen in a fixed location and have the sliding rule move.

$10 DRO.JPG

This one's been on for a few years now, they're pretty robust.

tailstockreadout002.jpg

I had done this for a quill feed on a mill/drill and on some custom projects in the past.

Be careful about buying the HF calipers The latest version are Pittsburgh and the grinding is very poor. The loosen the adjustment screws to provide travel over the beam but the slop introduces reading errors and if you tighten the adjusting screw to eliminate the slop, they bind. They also have an auto shutoff feature and have to be rezeroed. This was not true for the calipers they sold earlier.

If you can afford the extra $7, I like the Neiki brand on Amazon better than the current HF calipers. They keep their measurement after shutoff and feel a little better overall. Still not a Mitutoyo, but I don't expect it to be.

I just realized I meant Neiko* It doesn't seem like I can edit posts after someone likes them or there has been a certain time elapsed...

There were two threaded holes on the back of the display module. I used one to fasten it to the L-bracket. It was not a cut-down caliper. The single screw also acts as a pivot point to help align everything.

Ken

HF actually sells two different 6" digital calipers. Item number 47257 has a black head. It's cheaper, but forgets where zero is when shut off. Item 68304 has a gray head, includes a fractional inch readout, is a few dollars more, and keeps track of zero when shut off. IMHO, it's well worth the small difference in price.

As always, carefully inspect at the one you're thinking of buying. Some slide pretty roughly, and I've seen some whose bodies are visibly bent. You might have to go through a few of them until you find one that's smooth and straight.

Back