10" Cushman Chuck

I recently bought the CME 8” three jaw for my Pacemaker. I originally ordered the 10” but they were out of stock and called to see if I was ok with the 8”. I have no complaints about the chuck. Backing plate fit well and chuck seems to work well.

That's reassuring to hear. I looked for reviews and I didn't see any bad ones. I thought about trying to find a used one but that could be a gamble. The used ones I found were also twice as much as the new chuck.

I found a used Cushman 8” with the right taper for my lathe in the classifieds on here. It’s a much nicer chuck. Absent of a readily available used chuck, the CME seems alright to me.

I gave it one more try. I don't have any runout on the chuck surface but when I put a piece in I have a lot of runout. If I flip the jaws around and grip a big piece, the runout is very low. If the new chuck isn't satisfactory, I'll buy new jaws.

My main hold up on getting new jaws is grinding them properly. I would either need to a tool post grinder or spend time making a die grinder mount. If I made a mount and screwed up the jaws, I wasted more time. For the price of the new chuck, I think it's just better use of my time and money.

New chuck came in. Trued the backing plate up, disassembled chuck to clean plus lubricate and then installed. Six inches away from chuck has 0.0015 runout. I can live with that. The new chuck did have some rough edges but it was only $350. Can't complain about that.

Back