10 Hp Rotary Phase Converter

Martin W

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hi all,
Will a 10 hp rotary phase converter run a 10 hp motor? I know you are supposed to have a larger phase converter for your largest motor you are running.And for the starting load of the motor. E.g. 10hp to run a 5 hp .
Could it possibly work? Without finding a 15 hp
Martin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

the short answer is, yes- a 10 hp RPC will run a 10 hp motor with limitations

my guess it will work, because it starts with a low load and you may never use the full capacity load of the machine. May not work for an air compressor of 10 hp. BUT lets hear from those who no best. I have made one from scratch and made them from ebay phase converters all working fine.

I purchased a control panel from phase-craft,. It's for a 15 hp motor I had. I have ran my10 hp lathe and 5 hp mill at the same time several times with no problems.
Thanks ron

Thanks. I was thinking it would be okay with limitations. Just wanted second opinions.
Martin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You shouldn't have any problems. If you do have an issue starting a 10hp machine motor, just start another smaller machine first. It's like adding another pony motor to the RPC. Then start the 10hp machine, after this motor is up to speed you can shut off the smaller machine.

I always thought, that a RPC can start a motor of equal power of the RPC, it's the static converters where you loose about 1/3 to 1/2 the hp of the static converter.

starting the 10 hp from the RPC will be easy, the problem may come if you use all of the amps supplied by the breaker during hard operation.
you may wish to put the RPC on a 50 amp breaker to alleviate potential problems

Rotary converters can supply 2/3 of the full load amps X the service factor on convertor. If you try to run more than that you are generating excess heat in the winding that is connected to the single phase power supply. a 10 hp convertor will not live if running a 10 hp motor at FULL LOAD.

An electric motor only delivers the HP that the load is requiring. Most machines use less than 1/2 of the rated HP of the motors unless making very large cuts. If you are pushing the convertor it will make definite load noises and dim lights etc.

In our shop we have a 30 hp output convertor (50 hp Motor) feeding a 40 hp Hass CNC mill and a 20 hp Hass CNC Lathe at the same time. The convertor full load is 98Amps the highest I have ever seen it draw was 60+ for a short period when doing a large cut in the mill. It is unlikely that you will have a problem, if you are in doubt put a amp-meter on the incoming single phase line and monitor it, don't let it run over full load for any extended period of time (5 min)

Art B

This is a timely thread. In a few weeks I will be installing a RPC to run a CNC router with a 10HP spindle motor for a customer. From what I am reading here it sounds like a 15HP RPC is what is needed to have a reasonable safety factor. I suspect that the spindle will almost never require anywhere close to it's rated power, but my biggest concern is that the RPC plays nice with the controls.

Any thoughts?

This is a timely thread. In a few weeks I will be installing a RPC to run a CNC router with a 10HP spindle motor for a customer. From what I am reading here it sounds like a 15HP RPC is what is needed to have a reasonable safety factor. I suspect that the spindle will almost never require anywhere close to it's rated power, but my biggest concern is that the RPC plays nice with the controls.

Any thoughts?

as long as you use 2 non generated hot legs for making the CNC power supply connections you should be ok.

Back