10 Inch Lathes**** Oldies But Goodies*** Need Your Opinions Asap

My ¢.02, the clausing really caught my eye, but the S-B is basicaly ready to hunt. The steady reast on the S-B would ne the deal maker for me.
The Logan I wouldent touch it even for $850. Unless he is willing to completly assemble it.
Regardless of what is said, do a complet look and check.
Lastly take lots of pictures to show is when you decide on what your getting.

Sent from somewhere in East Texas Jake Parker

The Clausing has ca better chance of not being too worn if it has a hardened bed. The S.B. does not. A collet closer is a very valuable attachment for the Clausing.

I don't know if you do gunsmithing work or not,but the Clausing we had in the maintenance area looked like the same model. It was one of the very few lathes I have seen that would cut 19 threads per inch. This thread is used on old Remington falling block rifles,which a friend of mine is always rebuilding.

I'm a Logan fan - I have 2 currently - but I'd buy the Clausing. Best bang for the buck of those listed.
South Bends are nice lathes but they are always overpriced. And BTW, all SBs have plain-bearing headstocks - not a roller- or ball-bearing in sight.
Where you live you have a lot of iron to choose from. Don't rush out and buy too soon, plenty of others will float past. Get the right one

I like the chain that is attached to the apron/saddle with the wrench attached to the other end for locking the carriage in place on the South Bend Lathe...

I'm a Logan fan - I have 2 currently - but I'd buy the Clausing. Best bang for the buck of those listed.
South Bends are nice lathes but they are always overpriced. And BTW, all SBs have plain-bearing headstocks - not a roller- or ball-bearing in sight.
Where you live you have a lot of iron to choose from. Don't rush out and buy too soon, plenty of others will float past. Get the right one

Update i was told the SB has flame hardened ways and its the HD model
Btw it weights approx #800 pounds and the Clausing surprisingly only ways #600 (looks are deceiving ay?

and yea if ya see gear box on ANY of the models no 19 TPI yup special; thread prob why they do that .....

now lest discuss this a bit are you sure this model

South Bend Model CL 187A (CTAM #7740) has
plain-bearing head stocks

and if ya don't mind me asking can you describe the difference in plain Bering head stock
thanks

I like the chain that is attached to the apron/saddle with the wrench attached to the other end for locking the carriage in place on the South Bend Lathe...

I thought the chain was tacky and dangerous ( but prob juts dropped into chip pan... ..I guess the Co or boss was tired of guys spending 15 min looking for wrench lol.......

South Bend lathes used to just have cast iron bearings that were machined out of the parent metal of the headstock. If they got too worn,you would be in trouble as you could not replace them. You'd have to get the headstock line bored out to accept bronze inserts that you would probably have to make yourself.

Later models had replaceable bronze bearings with pick off shims to adjust the clearance. Bronze bearings MUST be oiled and looked after. But,they were used on some very high class lathes,such as Dean,Smith and Grace. They can deliver excellent surfaces when in good fettle.

Myself,I prefer ball bearing headstocks. My Hardinge delivers excellent surfaces. But,this lathe has very expensive class 9 bearings. My larger 16" Taiwan made Grizzly does plenty well enough,though,being a gear head lathe,you can see minute "echoes" of the gear transmission in the surfaces it makes. Real expensive gear head lathes do not have this echo problem. I had a 10" x 24" belt drive,ball bearing Jet lathe in the 70's that could deliver very smooth,bright surfaces(in certain types of steels,like leaded),that nearly looked nickel plated. I wish I had not sold it since it had a wider threading range than my HLVH,and did good work(I would not trade the HLVH for the Jet!). But,I needed the money to upgrade to the larger lathe and mill.

Update i was told the SB has flame hardened ways............
and yea if ya see gear box on ANY of the models no 19 TPI yup special; thread prob why they do that .....

..I guess the Co or boss was tired of guys spending 15 min looking for wrench lol.......

The serial number ends with an "X". This indicates harden ways.

19 pitch is no problem. locate some loose change gears, all you have to do is change the stud gear or the gear going into the gear box by two teeth. Then use the tumbler lever in either 18 or 20 pitch and get 19 TPI. Oops, this was with my 9" SBL. But should work with the 10L SBL, too!

Buy The South Bend Lathe! It's nicely tooled up. Appears to be in nice shape, with normal use.

My newly purchased 4903 Clausing 10x24 is listed at 860 pounds. Has the 1 HP motor.

The serial number ends with an "X". This indicates harden ways.

Buy The South Bend Lathe! It's nicely tooled up. Appears to be in nice shape, with normal use.
u guys are great ..found more info on serial #'s on websites than the SB website ... its seems evento the Flame hardened tag is not there u are saying X represents that?

yup, yup but have till Monday than I can loose her
Here is what I found but it don't speciphy

Locate the third and final letter in the lathe serial number. This letter will tell you the type of swing in your lathe, the size of the spindle hole and if any special modifications were made to the product. This final letter in the serial number will read as "R", "L", "E", "D", "T", "X", "C" or "K."

now I know I got a bit excited but seems to me this lathe is going to hold up and do much more better than a china 10" anyone dis agree with that statement ?

from what else I read the bearings have shims that are made to wear and can be adjusted
So what should I look for when looking over the lathe? speak now and forver hold yure peace
right now thinking of taking off Monday some reason I cant get her off of my mind ....
I want to make sure im not missing anything when lookin over the lathe besides condition ways, gears, feeds and engagement run out ect....
what is best way to see how tight headstock is and Bering what can I check and or do to make sure she's in good shape?

Thanks a mill Guys .. ever since I threw out an old craftsman lathe (long story ) its been my dream to get something again .. I dunno why but I feel ill be better suited with an Ole SB heavy 10" than a new china model?
I know everyone likes there Chevy's Chryslers and Fords but do you all agree with that ?

ohh last Q im not gona have 3 phase 220 v only single phase am I scrapping the whole idea ? not sure what type of motor but from other descriptions most are 3 phase .......

Last edited:
Back