10" rotary table too big for my 9 x 40 inch table??

lo7us

Registered
Registered
I am progressing in my skills (and need for more tools) and am looking to buy a 10" rotary table (for $500) So I have two questions:

1.) I know these can get expensive and this deal has a (servo?) motor attached (as well as the crank handles) - I like the older heavy cast machinery and this has a label of MOORS rotary table. I have yet to examine the condition but if everything is in order, is this a proper price?

2.) my table is only 9.5" x 40" so clearly this will overhang the table... is this too big? I see the advantage of having a big table, so I am inclined to go big now than regret later.

I do appreciate this feedback... this will be my evolution into work I find is better on my mill, and too large for my lathe.

~John

I know nothing of the RT you are considering. My mill has a 8x32 table and I use a 8" RT on it. The RT is bigger than the table but the size is not an issue at all. The 8" RT is also not too heavy for me to want to lift it (so far.) A 10" RT would have been too heavy for me to want to lift it. That is important unless you have and want to use a lift, crane, or whatever to put the RT in place. In my experience, if a tool is too inconvenient to use, it never gets used, even when it is perfect for the job...

Last edited:
A friend asked me to help him move a 10in rotary table from his car onto the bench in his shop. As Bob K. said it was very heavy. We were able to move this the short distance, but it was far too heavy to move single handed.

I have a small 6in rotary table. Easy to move around so I can store this anywhere. If I had a bigger table, I would need to consider storing this close to the milling machine and at nominal table height.

This friend also has 8in rotary table. I have lifted this. Heavier than I would want to move around.

Think outside the box. You can put a 24" (or less ;)) top plate on a 6" rotary table to hold larger work. Edit: At least up to some size/weight limit...

If you need that size, than that is what you need... I have an 8" phase II on my 1800 lbs 9x49 mill. I keep it on one side and the 5" vise on the other. It's a nice size, though I think a 6" model would have been enough for me. I'm still able to move the 8" model, but I don't do it unless I have to , though part of the weight is a 6" chuck.

Sometimes the rt is set up vertical, other times laying down, it all depends on what I need it for. I would say I am using the rt about 30% of the time I am on the mill... I am a rookie, and I may/may not be using the rt to its best advantage.
Otherwise, read bobs post above, it is really that basic.

Hth

Rich

My rotary table is a 12 inch and I use it on my 9x42 mill with no problem. My only complaint is that it is pretty
heavy necessitating using a chain fall hoist to mount it on the table. So from that perspective,
a 10 inch would be fine.

Wow, I appreciate the input I never considered the weight factor! I do have a hydraulic lifting table ( 1,000 capacity) Ha I was thinking I was going to put this on my motorcycle! By the descriptions, it sounds like this may way hundreds of pounds?? I do not "need" a 10" I just found one with a servo for $500 (Still not sure if this is a good value) But as I mentioned I do prefer the old school the USA made iron. My mill is a Smith MD-409 (like an RF 45 with power feed axises). It only weighs 1,000 pounds!

Oh I just checked another forum and they weigh ~ 100 pounds not too bad. I restore vintage motorcycles and any part of the day I seem to have to hoist 100 pounds. 300 pounds is my max (transmission from an Audi) But as I mentioned I do have a lifting table.

Dam I just checked eBay and they are going $1,500 plus! U guess this is a good deal - overkill for my first RT but I'm thinking CNC in the future so the servo could be a bigger deal then

Back