10” x 30” lathe master electrical problem

KUNGFOMATIC

Registered
Registered
My lathe was working well and then it started jittering when I turned it on, then it would stop. So I took the casing off and got to the motor and wiring. It was a mess and who ever owned it before even made some mods to the wiring. So, I have a wire hanging off the guard switch and I need to know where it goes. It has the question mark on it in the wiring diagram.

5DDE9BA9-85AD-4D11-A902-4A153655CE53.jpeg

8EBEE91D-F618-4CC9-9F4D-BB75574CAFFC.jpeg

3A62F722-5ADE-4606-9966-2A0A8076DC67.jpeg

5807ACE0-A1BE-442C-85FD-AE5E4EB41DE1.jpeg

0A0A28BB-564C-4B8F-A364-F94C9AD2B397.jpeg

F4A29797-7D9C-4CD5-A3AF-B686214362D2.jpeg

OK I have a couple questions: Did you draw the diagram or did he?
Secondly, I follow the guard switch but what does the pushbutton do? It would not function according to the diagram
I see some ratty connections there, have you fixed those yet?
Mark
ps does the relay have any markings on it? Do you know what was modded compared to the original?

Last edited:
I made the diagram from what I could trace. The push button I think was another safety switch on the door covering the gear area, the have simply bypassed this switch. Yes there are connections that I would have never made like that, and I plan on cleaning up the wiring as well as color coding everything once I find the correct wiring or schematic. I wish I could find the original schematic.

The only markings on the relay thing I wrote in the diagram, I could not find any other markings on that device. The drum switch is a LW26-20

They also removed the safety stop switch and put n a simple on/off switch.

OK I follow you. The safety switch would be wired in such a way as to drop out the relay coil I think. I'll have to study your diagram a bit more and get back to you. Do you have a multi-meter or some type of continuity tester?
M

Also the forward and reverse switch: is it working now or has it been working with the current wiring?
If so, is it supposed to shut off the machine if it is switched while running? I'm trying to understand the intended modes of operation

Last edited:
Yes I have testers, the on and off switch seemed to do nothing when it was working, it was working until I took it apart and that wire came out from something, that is the mystery. Yes if I switched it to forward it would work in that direction, center it did nothing and reverse it would go the othe direction but keep in mind I would have to stop the motor in order for the direction to change

So are you referring to switch 1 at the top of the drawing that did nothing? Need to be specific since there are several switches

Last edited:
Back