If I were looking at an import machine of any type I would not make a move without talking to Matt, period. He is a stand up guy and a pleasure to do business with. I am sure that he would give you the best deal he could, and his service is un matched.

I cant even hardly believe this but I gotta say wow.. So I was just recently medically retired from the marine corps, Damn IED's are no joke. And I was just recently as in 3 weeks or so released from walter reed hospital. I called grizzly awhile back and explained to them I was in the hospital and could not order yet because I was not home to accept the shipment. They were having their 10% military discount, the girl told me how much she appreciated my service blah blah blah and that it was no big deal ( I explained to her it was going to be a few more weeks maybe 2 months before I got discharged) no biggie she says just call us back when you get home and we will give you the 10% she took all my info and said she would note my account, not including after I bought my bridgeport I bought a grizzly 0619 to CNC, folks I am just trying to get into a hobby to pass the time, I am 30 and medically retired I want to do something.. Anyhow I call today and speak to the CSR and they tell me no they cant do it, I explain the whole situation, and ask 3 times to speak to a supervisor. Finally the supervisor gets on and basically tells me the same thing, and says they never noted the account but that it wouldnt matter if they had because their hands were tied.. I am trying to purchase a g4003g lathe its like 3500.00 and because I was in the hospital getting shrapnel yanked from my body and having 3 hip surgeries I was LIED to.. I do not understand why these customer service people tell you things that just arent true I was really looking forward to buying this lathe.. Should I just say screw it and buy the lathe or shop some where else due to principles??

Devildog,

I talked to a guy named Ron and was granted a retroactive discount when I bought the G0776. Like you I did not want to spend time and money buying used so I went (for me) the most economical way.
As others said you boys are the best.

Mike

Devil Dog,
Please don't judge a whole company because one person thought a rain check was an option when it wasn't. I've had my G4003G for over two years now and it's a great machine, exceeding my expectations at every turn. I had a minor cut svc issue and they were great, sending me more free parts than I actually needed and I had them in under a week. I have bought used American iron before and because of my inexperience I ended up buying someone else's problems. The new G4003G was the way to go for me. Thanks for your service and I hope you make a full recovery.

I just think its crap, Ive never been one to look for a hand out simply wanted what was offered, I guess I will call this Matt fella I just looked over there and really like that 1340gt its SWEET

First off, thank you for your service, I know that may not sound like much to some but from the bottom of my heart I appreciate what you have done and sacrificed for our country.

Secondly, I would cast another vote to give Matt @ Quality Machine Tools a call as he is great to deal with. As for the PM1340GT, I can vouch that it truly is a nice lathe. Threading is a joy on this machine, something I struggled with on my previous change gear lathe. The fit and finish is amazing and it is a smooth running lathe although a bit more money wise than the G4003 that you are comparing it to.

Mike.

Thanks, all of you for your unquestioning service. Thanks, too to our suppliers
who pay attention to their promises , I know , myself, how much trouble in mind
and body can pull you , and how much a little friendly help can mean.......BLJHB.

ok so like coolidge said i was looking at a mori copy Its the cadillac but now this company has began to back pedal on me because I think they found they were going to have to do a little work to the thing, they rebuild used machines and sell them at first they seemed awesome but then he got really flaky and wanted me to send the entire payment in full for something they hadnt even started on, so I just tried to call Matt and talked to a lady there and she is going to have him call me back, so I guess I am back to new Taiwan only lathes and possibly mill. I never realized how hard it is to find a decent lathe and mill, I do not want someone elses headache which is why i was considering grizzly in the first place.. But after talking to several guys on this forum amongst others it seems the 4003g really is hit or miss, ive spoken to guys who are happy with it and spoken to many more who were not happy at all.. My head has begun to spin at this point..
any info that you guys can give me on the used market would be great I am in the louisville Ky area, I have looked at craigslist in my areas out to about 100 miles and I did find what looked to be a nice cincinatti hydrostat with some tooling.. I am doing gunsmithing and need inch and metric threading capabilities along with a good finished product..... HELPPPP lol

Let me give you some background so what I'm going to say will make sense. I've been machining professionally since 1981 and building guns (for myself) almost exclusively since 2008. I have a full machine shop at home with multiples of most machines including lathes. i.e. I have time to look around for deals...

I've been looking for a larger lathe on and off for a couple of years in passing but recently sold off some extra equipment to free up some cash and make room for another lathe. I have the experience and facilities to rebuild machinery and love heavy old iron more than most people these days. Unfortunately the spindle through hole (on anything I have room for) is too small and not many can cut metric threads easily. The other downside to the old iron is that the cost of old machinery is artificially inflated at the moment, and you will need to supply 3 phase electric to run it (not a problem but is does cost more money for equipment).

A few weeks ago I'd decided to settle on a Grizzly G0709 13x40 gunsmith lathe but started reading posts by old guys like me that had them who said they were disappointed by the lack of power, feel of the controls, crossfeed dial graduations, and compound degree markings. So the G0709 got bumped off the top of the list and I started looking again, this time toward the PM lathes. I've never spoken with Matt but remember him from his time on the practicalmachinist forum 10 to 15 years ago. He has two lathes on his site that are priced the same but one has tons more "stuff" with it and includes free shipping. I'm having a hard time mentally figuring out why the loaded lathe with the larger spindle bore, larger motor, extra stuff and is 500 pounds heavier is the same price as their bare bones "gunsmith" lathe with a smaller spindle bore, weaker motor, no "stuff" and $300 shipping.

So now I'm in the same boat as you. I have the cash in hand, the place to put it, and a desire for it, but can't make up my mind. At this point I've started looking at old iron again.

ok so like coolidge said i was looking at a mori copy Its the cadillac but now this company has began to back pedal on me because I think they found they were going to have to do a little work to the thing, they rebuild used machines and sell them at first they seemed awesome but then he got really flaky and wanted me to send the entire payment in full for something they hadnt even started on, so I just tried to call Matt and talked to a lady there and she is going to have him call me back, so I guess I am back to new Taiwan only lathes and possibly mill. I never realized how hard it is to find a decent lathe and mill, I do not want someone elses headache which is why i was considering grizzly in the first place.. But after talking to several guys on this forum amongst others it seems the 4003g really is hit or miss, ive spoken to guys who are happy with it and spoken to many more who were not happy at all.. My head has begun to spin at this point..
any info that you guys can give me on the used market would be great I am in the louisville Ky area, I have looked at craigslist in my areas out to about 100 miles and I did find what looked to be a nice cincinatti hydrostat with some tooling.. I am doing gunsmithing and need inch and metric threading capabilities along with a good finished product..... HELPPPP lol

Hello Jarhead, (was a scout a LONG time ago in a far away land) thank you for your service.

I have the PM1340GT and love it. I upgraded mine to the 3-phase motor and VFD but otherwise, this machines needs nothing. I do mostly gunsmithing and smaller projects and it has handled everything I've asked of it. One of the forum members here stopped by a few weeks back and was looking at it and said it's just as good as the old school machines he's run. I wasn't interested in dealing with worn/used machines so I decided this was the best I could get in the size range I was looking at. My second machine from Matt at PM. He's a stand up guy.

Hello Jarhead, (was a scout a LONG time ago in a far away land) thank you for your service.

I have the PM1340GT and love it. I upgraded mine to the 3-phase motor and VFD but otherwise, this machines needs nothing. I do mostly gunsmithing and smaller projects and it has handled everything I've asked of it. One of the forum members here stopped by a few weeks back and was looking at it and said it's just as good as the old school machines he's run. I wasn't interested in dealing with worn/used machines so I decided this was the best I could get in the size range I was looking at. My second machine from Matt at PM. He's a stand up guy.

WRMiller - Can you shed some light on the 1340GT vs the 1440E-LB dillema I have?

Hey Holescreek,

Don't want to dilute this thread (maybe we should start another thread?) but what dilemma in particular are you having? :)

Back