1006/1007 quill lock

I trimmed the wedges a bit. Also cleaned up the rounded portion. So far I can’t tell any difference but I’ve only been taking some light cuts in aluminum with an end mill. We will see what happenes when I try fly cutting on some steel.

I ordered and received replacement “wedges”. Where I had tried to dress the curved area that mates with the quill, I couldn’t get the arc quite exact so they weren’t making complete contact with the quill. The new ones have a couple of high spots. The high spot is the only thing that makes contact. The lock is working better, but after a few more uses I’m going to take it apart and carefully dress the high spots. Bottom line is that I desperately need a knee mill. :)

Additional suggestion that might help. When matching the radius in the replacement "wedges" to the quill I first put the right size round bar in the quill locking mechanism hole, then measured accurately from the bar to the front of the quill bore. This determined exactly how deep the matching quill radius needed to be cut. I was confident that just a saw cut in the middle of the radius would be enough to assure a tight fit and a perfect clamp on the quill.

Hope that helps

Back