101.07301 Thrust Bearing Lubrication

bama7

Registered
Registered
Is the Thrust Bearing on the Spindle supposed to be packed with grease or just oiled? I am thinking grease since it has a dust shield on both sides of the bearing. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

grease - there's no way to oil it once it's installed. I just used whatever grease I had to hand, regular bearing grease from memory.

All of the various copies of the 101.07301 parts lists show the same thing. Bearing in mind that the spindle thrust bearing is shielded, not sealed, there is a small gap between the shield and the inner race. I have always assumed that you were supposed to squirt oil against the gap while turning the spindle.

huh, how funny is that? My memory is pretty fuzzy as I passed that lathe along several years ago (have an Atlas 618 now), but I don't remember the gap being all that large. Getting oil in there with it tucked up against the spindle pulley would be interesting, though I guess you'd at least oil the toothed part of the spindle pulley at the same time :)

Well, I have never had or seen a 101.07301. Nor one of the Babbit bearing models either, for that matter. But the factory instruction do say to oil it every time that the machine is used. You probably wouldn't want to start the motor without closing the belt cover. Flustered

This is the first lathe of this model I have owned as well. The bearing was pretty much dry when I got the lathe. There is very little gap to force the oil in. That was my reason for asking about the best lubricant. I don’t believe using grease will have any adverse effect on the bearing or the operation of the spindle. Since the gap is very small I don’t think the grease will sling out to badly. That is my hope at least.

You are probably correct. However, if you do go that route, I would recommend that you pull the spindle at least annually and replace the grease. Unlike automotive wheel bearings, the thrust bearing is not in a sealed environment and the grease will dry out.

That sounds like good advice to me. Thanks
You are probably correct. However, if you do go that route, I would recommend that you pull the spindle at least annually and replace the grease. Unlike automotive wheel bearings, the thrust bearing is not in a sealed environment and the grease will dry out.

Back