101.07403 To Paint or Not?

DaveInHouston

Registered
Registered
I recently acquired a 12x24 101.07403 ser # 11998 lathe and am trying to decide whether or not to paint it. I’ve spent the last couple of weeks doing minor repairs, adjustments and tuneups and am really pleased with how well the little lathe is running. I’ve scrounged up four old cast iron legs and plan to fabricate a proper stand for it soon. I’d like to get a set of original Atlas stands for it but not going to pay the goofy prices I’m seeing on EBay. At any rate does anyone have opinions on painting?
Thanks,
Dave

DB880644-77FC-4F9D-846A-BE7CAEA4F51D.jpeg

F6A46C37-E22D-45E7-8450-D9D5A5C021F5.jpeg

A9C6A9A3-EF2E-4EFE-B8F5-4C0CF97590D4.jpeg

One of my concerns with new paint is that, if anything I have a tendency to over lubricate and would have oil all over a new paint job within a few uses. Plus it’s an old lathe (I think close the same vintage as I am!) and it has that old, industrial look about it. Thanks

I would say that would depend! Personally I Like the Aged look on some of these older machines because it tells a story.

When i was a kid I had this hoopty-mobile that everyone liked to talk crap about until i left them sitting on the line because they only seen the outside but Not what was under the hood! It was a ratted out '79 pontiac grand prix with a Beautiful 327sbc out of a '68 Corvette that I put a bit of work into. Before I even considered making the outside pretty (which never happened btw) I Wanted the Important parts to be on point. This car looked like it should be pushed to the junkyard to be PUT DOWN but looks don't win the race!
Anyway point is if you have the time and resources to paint your lathe without putting something else you need or need to get done onto the back burner then go for it but if you think your time and or resources would be better used on something else put the painting on hold.

Couple of thoughts here. For one, if you paint it, you may have an easier time of wiping down the machine with oil residue and chips. Secondly, if you leave it, there's the 'patina' of it's history that can't be changed. A working piece of history.
My own 1937 12" still has the original paint on it, and fortunately it's still in pretty good shape, so I am leaving it as it is. I must say, that this lathe was originally purchased by my wife's Uncle and it's been in the family since, so it's had 'extra' care through the years I am assuming.

Mike

I sense that you would like to see it painted. Good for you. That said, painting machinery CORRECTLY is no small undertaking, even on a machine this small. Just cleaning parts to be painted is a multistep process.....read time consuming.
From your pictures the lathe looks good as is.....might just leave it alone and enjoy it.

If you take the time to paint it, you’ll likely take the time to set it up properly too. That will in turn deliver the performance you are looking for and expecting. If you want a “rat rod” machine, I’d expect “rat rod” results...... and the mindset to go along with it. Just my 2 cents. IMG_3069.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You’re probably right, that I would like to see it painted. My problem is that I’m obsessive and would have to do it right....and take forever to do it. Meanwhile I’m finding all sorts of little parts that just have to be made around the farm. This afternoon I’m making a greatly oversized set of hinges for one of the barn doors!

If you take the time to paint it, you’ll likely take the time to set it up properly too. That will in turn deliver the performance you are looking for and expecting. If you want a “rat rod” machine, I’d expect “rat rod” results...... and the mindset to go along with it. Just my 2 cents. View attachment 284247

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That’s a very nice setup by the way. Very nice. I have built a couple of rat rods but prefer the nicer, original route. I’ve got a 1960 Chevy C10 in progress that I’m restoring to original. I’ll likely eventually paint the lathe but wait until I get it on a proper stand. I appreciate the good input.

If you take the time to paint it, you’ll likely take the time to set it up properly too. That will in turn deliver the performance you are looking for and expecting. If you want a “rat rod” machine, I’d expect “rat rod” results...... and the mindset to go along with it. Just my 2 cents. Tapatalk

LOL...Wow.....Ok!

Back