101 21400 New to me, Questions??

mikeAZ

Registered
Registered
My 1st. Newbe Post...Info please, ...Always wanted a lathe. I found a Craftman 101 21400. The 3 jaw chuck was missing. I suspect it was used as a wood turning lathe as no indecation of any metal reside can be seen anywhere but there is minor sawdust residue inside the gear box. A homemade chuck was attached to the stock faceplate with 3 screws used as jaws??..otherwise it's in extremely good condition for it's age. Sat unused for quite a while. I can't find any new chucks that will bolt up to the unmolested stock face plate. I've been on E Bay and there are a few used ones listed BUT hard to tell their condition, could be "junk"?.. Could this be the solution?.. The Shars 1" 10 TPI faceplate and the Shars #202-5410 3 jaw chuck?. The cost is about $125.00 for both (Sold as a package). From what I can tell???.... Looks like it should work??.... Says you need to turn the shoulder down with the faceplate mounted on the spindle.. mike * I did a search*, didn't find an answer

Last edited:
Yep that be the Shars package, but be aware the quality can be variable; I had an issue with one set of jaws from them. I suggest reading up on the procedure of fitting a new chuck and backplate if you have not done it before. You can always ask for guidance here also.
Mark S.

Thanks,...I've read their procedure, If I'm not mistaken?,... I use my lathe with their faceplate backplate (I'm learning) mounted and cut a small amount from the faceplate so the two mesh together (.050 or so as needed). I've never delt with Shars... But E bay has always treated me well, If have a dispute...I'd rather have new than used for this application.

Last edited:
Terminology 101 - the removable plate on the back of plain back chucks that adapt the chucks to fit different types of spindle noses is called a back plate or backing plate, not a face plate. A face plate screws or otherwise attaches to the spindle and is mostly used to drive lathe dogs when turning a part between centers. The (usually) four slots can be used to mount an irregular part on the lathe, so long as the bolts don't get in the way of the machining.

A backing plate, if oversize to begin with, is turned down to fit the plain back chuck., thus hopefully resulting in reduced run-out. As the plate is finish machined on the machine that it is going to run on, if the chuck was accurately machined, the resultant should run truer.

Mike: Yes what you described is one part of the procedure, but if the backplate you receive is like the one I got you'll have to remove some material from the hub also. I had to remove about 1/2" from the hub side- I used a hacksaw since it would have taken too long on the lathe and cast iron makes an abrasive mess. Then you will need to face the hub where you cut it and then relieve the threads so the hub will fit up to the shoulder on the spindle, which requires a boring bar. So it's a bit of a job. When they say these are "semi-finished" backplates they're not kidding.
You might want to check out the backplates from Little Machine Shop, they may not require so much fiddling. There is also a line of chucks called CME (Ebay) they have similar offerings to Shars and fairly good quality from what I have heard.
Mark

I checked the little Machine Shop site..... None were bored to 1" x 10 TPI, (it doesn't look like any are tapped). I should have known, that the change wouldn't be that simple. I'm a complete novice, never owned a lathe before. Unfortuately, I've comitted to buy the Shar's setup. Hopefully, I can blunder thru. Your responce is VERY appricated. I'll check, CME also. I'm learning.... called a backplate not a faceplate..Thanks, Mike

Last edited:
Back