1022 Lathe Question

Capt45

Former Member
Will this chuck BOSTAR 5C Collet Chuck Closer D1 - 4 Cam Lock Mount , fit on my lathe? I want to be able to take it out of the box and mount it without making a backplate, ect.

How is your chuck mounted? My Grizzly G0602 has a threaded spindle so the answer is no.

r D1 - 4 Cam Lock Mount

My 10-30 did not come with a D1-4 cam lock. So it won't fit on mine. Does your 10-22 have the mount with the 3 nuts to loosen? That's not a cam lock.

Edit: fix typo

It will not fit directly. The D1-4 cam lock has a taper on the nose and cams that pull the chuck in and secure. The 1022 has a completely different mounting system.

OK; found this one on *bay and it should work. "Collet Chuck Plain Back for 5C Collets". I'll still have to have a back plate. What steel would be best to use? Or should I try and find a chunk of cast iron?

See if you can buy a semi finished back plate that fits your lathe's spindle. They can be had for $30-50 usually or might be included with a chuck purchase. This can save you a lot of work in machining one from scratch.

Cast iron is preferable for its vibration damping properties, however a mild steel would be a fine alternative. 12L14 would be my favorite since it machines so nicely.

Back