1022 Problem?

Capt45

Former Member
Two days ago I turned some brass fittings and everything worked as usual. Yesterday I was honing out a Lee sizing die and started hearing a thump, thump, thump type noise like you'd hear if you had a flat tire. The noise increased with frequency as the Lathe speed would change. What could possibly be causing that? Sounds like it's coming from the spindle area or possibly the gear box. Help me get to the source and fix the problem.

Remove the gear cover, (somehow take the safety switch out of the circuit,) turn on the lathe at low speed and see if any gears are rubbing, or binding as they revolve. Some are not as concentric as would be liked.

Belt is 100% good and when I turned the spindle by hand the gears didn't touch. I'm going to attempt to remove the safety switch gismo and power up the Lathe for a better look.

Are you speaking of the external gears on the aft end of the Spindle? If so I have checked thrice now and don't see anything obvious. I'll keep checking. Also, I noticed today, subsequent to the initial investigation, that I can't readily switch between speeds. I've been using A, and switching between A to B to C is difficult without manually rotating the Spindle; is that normal. Also, speed gets up to 912 rpm in A setting AND the same for B setting. What's up with that?

A and B and C relate to the movement of the compound toward or away from the head. 912 is top speed for low range. To change ranges, you have to loosen the motor and switch the belt to the other pulleys (and retighten the belt) to get into High range.

Yes, you may have to jog the spindle by hand to switch between A and B and C.

OK, thanks Tom. Sounds like I need to become more familiar with the machine.

Back