10D to 10F Headstock Interchange

MilesW

Registered
Registered
I have an opportunity to reasonably buy a Timken bearing 10F headstock for my 10D babbit bearing headstock. I have searched for information if there are any interchange issues with this but I can’t seem to definitively make that determination. Could someone assist or point me in the right direction. I would greatly appreciate this. Thanks.

Aligning the head would be the biggest job. On the parts list for my Atlas the babbit bearings were listed as obsolete and recommended to change the head stock to the Timken bearing head stock , so it looks like it is done. I have both types of head stocks and they look interchangeable to me. Hopefully our resident Atlas expert will help out.

Yes, the Timken bearing headstock is nominally interchangeable with the babbit bearing one, The only things that you would need to do after installation of the new headstock is to first adjust the tailstock set-back to match the new headstock and then to see how close the vertical position is to being the same. This would be true regardless of which headstock you were installing. As a practical matter, the error in diameter at the tailstock varies inversely with with the square of the diameter. I wrote an explanation of why this is so which you will find in the A/C section of Downloads.

Back