10ee back gear issue. Seeking advice

MitMo303

Registered
Registered
Hey all,
I have a 1945 10ee. I engaged the back gear to do some threading, tried to shift it back to open belt, it disengaged from the back gear, but now it's in a neutral state and refuses to back into either open belt or back gear. I'm just wondering if any of you have had this issue. Any I sight would be appreciated before I start tearing apart this gearbox

I assume you've tried wiggling it a bunch of times? You probably have, BUT have you tried singing "I want to be sedated" by The Ramones and standing on one leg while wiggling?
-Mark

Lol. I've wiggled so, so much. I've tried light taps with a soft blow on the box. I have not tried the song, however. I'll go give that a whirl right now.

Mine is in pieces and is of a considerably different vintage (1967), but I know some models had a solenoid and interlock mechanism. I'd suggest just taking the rod off the gearbox and seeing if the gearbox will shift directly by moving the arm on the side of the gearbox. And double check the oil level in the gearbox while you're there.

After watching a rebuild series on those with all the tubes and wiring-DC transformers-ya da ya da ya da.
They scare the heck out of me.
I know they are great lathes but did they have to make them so darned complicated?

DC transformers? Farms in Berkley?
Complicated? So only the US Government can afford to buy them ---

Those dc drives are reportedly one of the best things since sliced bread. And yes they had big vacuum tubes in some of them.
That's how you controlled lots of power in those days, before power transistors and mosfets and all that new fangled stuff

Imagine what it would have been like to have listened to the motor generator set in the earlier models all day long ----

Mine is in pieces and is of a considerably different vintage (1967), but I know some models had a solenoid and interlock mechanism. I'd suggest just taking the rod off the gearbox and seeing if the gearbox will shift directly by moving the arm on the side of the gearbox. And double check the oil level in the gearbox while you're there.
Thanks for the reply. Ill give that a try. Oil is good. That much I do know.

Back