10ee Compound Backlash Adjustment

Jonathans

Professional Fish Killer
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I posted this in another forum as well and thought I would share it here as well for anyone who wants to reduce their compound backlash.
I installed new nuts on my cross slide and compound slide today. With a very slight adjustment to my cross slide nut, as per Cal's method, my backlash is less than .001. Very happy with that. However, after installing the new compound nut I still had .01 backlash and there is no provision for adjustment. Rather than purchase a new compound slide screw, I decided to cant the nut with a shim. The brass shim is .015.
I needed to take a little off of the top of the brass nut with a file in order to maintain clearance to the slide. I now have a backlash of .0015 on my compound slide.
Easy low cost fix. I couldn't figure out how to post a pic here from my ipad.

This bears looking into. Thanks for bringing it up.

Do you have a link to Cal's instructions, I just tried to go over to the Monarch board at PM to check on your post, but they won't let me in. That is great results that you got. I am embarrassed to say what my cross and compound back lash is in my 1956 EE. I did calculate that by the time it was taken off the line at the shop it worked in that it had over 40,000 hours on it, by 1978.

thank you
michael

First off here is the link to instructions on adjusting the crossfeed backlash. I hope Cal is fine with me posting this. I for one would never have figured this out without his help. It was this process that gave me the idea to shim the compound nut.
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/monarch-lathes/adjusting-10ee-crossfeed-screw-backlash-172175/
And, here is the picture I took just in case some were more visually oriented than others Here is a link http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u389/jonathans56/Mobile Uploads/2015-04/53B552B9-3484-46D2-BCF5-F8C34E2B5F77_zpso17kc6gf.jpg
Here are a couple of thing to consider if you utilize this process. You might need to trim off the top of the nut a little with a file, remove it and use a belt grinder, as the shim will raise it a little.
Shimming the nut will also raise the front plate of the compound so the cap head bolts might be snug. Be extra careful not to crossfeed them, or if you end up shimming more than myself, you might need to bore out the holes in the plate a little.

This may work on your lathe, i don't know for sure, did it to my south bend 9" wide bed nut

101_0581.jpg 101_0582.jpg

First off here is the link to instructions on adjusting the crossfeed backlash. I hope Cal is fine with me posting this. I for one would never have figured this out without his help. It was this process that gave me the idea to shim the compound nut. ...
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/monarch-lathes/adjusting-10ee-crossfeed-screw-backlash-172175/
I certainly don't care. I'm not aware of any forum rule that would prevent it either.

BTW, I didn't come up with that, I just put together the procedure from a couple of vague references to the fact that it was intended to be adjusted in that manner.

Cal

Back