10ee VFD Conversion

Deek---Thank you for all your very helpful info. It shall be put to use. I'm going to print it and keep it in the shop

I worked in San Francisco for 27 years and lived in Marin so i am familiar with the Bay Area and will certainly give you a shout should we ever be in your territory. You are certainly welcome to stop by my shop should you ever be tooling north on I-5. We are in Merlin about 10 minutes west of the 5.

Now comes the hard part of any "build" the cleaning. I'm happy once I move to the "clean" side.

Deek---Any idea of total cost? I'm thinking I can bring this in somewhere between $1500.00 and 2000.00 for materials and outside labor. Certainly less than the $17,000.00 quoted by Monarch which did not include shipping.

I will keep meticulous records of materials and costs and post totals along with parts and part numbers of all components.

I think I came in at right around 1500.00. I purchased everything new and nothing on ebay. You can probably do better if you search on ebay. in hindsight, I might spend more time on ebay, but because it was my first time around, I wanted to go with vendors with a generous return policy.

With some labor you could easily go over 2000.00.

Motor arrived today by FEDEX free shipping. I was surprised, only placed the order Tuesday. Picked up the 6061 aluminum from White City Metals $22.50. Would have cost a lot more from Speedy or Online. You can look it up.

Hi Deek,

I'm new to this group. So...I got a 10EE and it has no motor but a controller mounted that I think is some sort of DC drive. Anyways I want to put in the Ac 5hp motor and VFD and I have some questions...
1. my top pulley is 5.5" in diameter and the RPM dial says 4000 so what RPM motor do I need? Will the VFD run it faster than the motor data plate?

2. Mine has that electric feed reversal thingie and not sure if I want to keep that but if I did how would I wire that in?

3. What are the hooks for above the hatch cover (by your feet)?

Thanks!
Ben
ps. I have access to all sorts of machinery....shear, laser, milling, turning, tig/mig pipe bending

Welcome to the Tribe. Read the above, all you need to know. I'm in the process of doing the same conversion. With all that iron you should have no problem.

Hiya Ben,

Welcome to the forum !

If you check out my conversion, you'll see the motor I purchased. The inverter enabled motors can run 3400 even if stamped 1750. (post #17) You are correct that the Vfd will run it higher.

I believe the electric feed reversal is for threading. You'll need to consult your wiring diagram (from monarch) to tell what you need to feed it. I don't have that feature, so you'll have to contact the guys who do. Cal on this form is one of the 10ee gurus.

No sure what you mean with the "hooks" unless you mean the magnetic hooks I use to hang tools off of. Those hooks are rare earth magnet hooks and easily support the tools. I've tried others, but they don't hold well. I'm still not sure I like them. A lot of chips get stuck on them and it's a pain to keep them clean. I'll probably make an aluminum rack that has hooks so it doesn't collect swarf. If that's not it, let me know which photo in which post.

Best of luck.

peace,
d

Hi Deek,

I'm new to this group. So...I got a 10EE and it has no motor but a controller mounted that I think is some sort of DC drive. ...

2. Mine has that electric feed reversal thingie and not sure if I want to keep that but if I did how would I wire that in?

Could you take pics? Yep, you most likely has some sort of drive still in the machine. Depending on which one, it has value to those still running a 10EE with the drive.

Do you have a back gear? If you do not, 5hp will be extremely weak to run the machine at slow speeds. The way this works, a VFD can run the motor from very slow and up to about 4000 RPM. BUT the motor power is proportional to the fraction of nameplate speed. For example at 10% speed you have 10% of the power.

It gets expensive, but a 10 or 7.5 HP 1200 RPM motor is the best choice for 10EE VFD without the backgear. The lower motor RPM on the nameplate helps a lot also.

Hey Karl...
Here are 2 pics. Yes if someone needs this...we might can barter for something.
Yes, I do plan on using the back gear. I don't know how new or original it is b/c the small gear has drive dogs rather than teeth (if that makes sense)
oh and yes, I know that's not how the drive belt goes lol
Thanks
BenIMG_20180113_115409072.jpgIMG_20180113_120015747.jpg

Pic 1 looks exactly like my 10EE. I have not seen the item in pic 2, cannot help from just this pic.

Glad you have a back gear, makes for a much better, and less expensive, build.

Back