10L DRO

Capt. Jas.

Registered
Registered
I have been searching out older posts concerning DROs on the SB 10L but the latest conversation I found was 2011.
I have a 1971 Heavy 10 with 4' bed that does not have a taper attachment. Are there any recent innovations in the DRO world that might be recommended for this machine?
I'm not in need of super bells and whistles. Is there a brand or model that would best work with this machine?
Thanks

Lots of people like DRO on their lathes, but I'm like you, not in need of super bells and whistles (and I don't need a leather-clad midget watching from the corner to get excited, either). The most common thing people seem to say when buying a DRO for an old manual lathe is the eyesight is going. I can't relate to that yet, but I know better than to scoff. It's just a matter of time. I'm posting because I am still content to use "old methods" on the lathe, such as layout fluid, dividers, and a scribe. It worked for 125 years after the industrial revolution, and it put several men into space. I am not trying to crack wise, I just don't understand what is to be gained.

I put this one on my Heavy 10L
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/327...uler-for&spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.56704c4d9jKlI6

WP_20180128_12_48_16_Pro.jpg

It has been quite satisfactory, nicely made, no complaints. It has all the bells and whistles, which I don't use. My original intent was to just mount the X scale, but since I had the Y scale I made a rectangular aluminum cover for the cross-slide screw to replace the original tapered cast one and mounted the scale to that. I'll provide pictures of the mounts if and when someone needs them. If I had it to do over, I'd still buy this one. It's cheaper than a 6" travel indicator.

Back