11" 1957-2 Refurb

Dmp2275

Registered
Registered
Hi everyone! My name is Dustin and im located in south central Pennsylvania. I just finished a refurb of a Logan 11" lathe a few months back and wanted to post the process here. Some of you may have seen a few of these if you're a member of the yahoo group.

Story: I had a small Atlas lathe that I refurbished a few years back and wanted to upgrade to something I could actually work with steel on (haha). I picked up a Southbend 10k with a ton of tooling for a steal and planned to convert that over to a "toolroom" model by retrofitting the cabinet, bed, and headstock from a lathe in better shape. Long story short, I found a cabinet/bet/headstock in Philly and drove out to get it. I didn't realize it at the time, but I was actually picking the cabinet up from 611 machine sales who deal in tool resale. To my surprise, they had a nice little Logan turret lathe buried in the middle of their lathe selection. I had my heart set on a Logan for a while but just couldn't find one which is why I had settled on the 10k. I made an offer and the owner was gracious enough to let me take the Logan (along with the SB cabinet assembly) and send a check in the following week as I didn't have enough cash with me. I ended up parting the SB out, made a ton of money off the thing and paid for all of the Logan while managing to keep any interchangeable tooling (2 buck chucks, tons of tailstock chucks, steady rest, micrometer stop, etc, etc). That's pretty much where this story begins so ill let the photos do the rest of the talking.. Photos coming shortly

I guess I should mention that I bought this particular Logan because it was a turret model (1957-2 to be exact) and the bed looked pretty nice. Ultimately, I probably wont ever use the turret so during the restoration process, I added a compound and converted it to a standard screw cutting lathe (ie, model 1955). Still havnt decide what ill do with the turret but probably end up selling it. It takes up a lot of space and I can get anal about having things laying around that I wont use.

The lathe was dirty as all hell as it seems to have been used w/ coolant all its life. That was ok with me as it prevented any rust or major lube related issues. As found:
586_zpsaqbq4k7w.jpg
587_zpslpzqusln.jpg

586_zpsaqbq4k7w.jpg

587_zpslpzqusln.jpg

586_zpsaqbq4k7w.jpg

587_zpslpzqusln.jpg

Packing up and ready to head down the turnpike. This little trailer was sitting at max capacity so it was a nervous ride home, but we made it (with the SB cabinet as well).
589_zpspkijoutg.jpg
588_zpsrtgrtl7c.jpg
590_zpssxkqbhx2.jpg

589_zpspkijoutg.jpg

588_zpsrtgrtl7c.jpg

590_zpssxkqbhx2.jpg

589_zpspkijoutg.jpg

588_zpsrtgrtl7c.jpg

590_zpssxkqbhx2.jpg

After full disassembly, next came cleanup in the parts washer and refurbishing any rough areas + paint. This included replacing all the sealed bearings in the drive unit, new gearbox bushings, new gearbox keyed shaft, clean/re-grease spindle bearings, new felts, new rubbers for the cabinet, etc.

737_zps10kofxwp.jpg
731_zpspwgramuh.jpg
358_zpsjpnjykvw.jpg
313_zpsyo7fpsml.jpg
359_zpsglxoubih.jpg

737_zps10kofxwp.jpg

731_zpspwgramuh.jpg

358_zpsjpnjykvw.jpg

313_zpsyo7fpsml.jpg

359_zpsglxoubih.jpg

737_zps10kofxwp.jpg

731_zpspwgramuh.jpg