11" Front Spindle Bearing

Absolutely should be seals on both sides. Logan used high quality permanently lubed bearings.

One would think so, but when I took my 10" machine apart it had the original New Departure bearing in it and it was
shielded on one side as well. Maybe they did it that way so they could be repacked?

I would look for the manufacturer recomendation on what grease to use.

Unfortunately, the original manufacturer, New Departure, is long gone. I imagine modern synthetic greases are
better than what was specified back then anyway.

One would think so, but when I took my 10" machine apart it had the original New Departure bearing in it and it was shielded on one side as well. Maybe they did it that way so they could be repacked?

I stand 100% corrected! I found my 11" parts manual. No separate shield, it shows a cir-clip, and the picture at any rate shows a bearing with a shield on outward facing side.
For what it's worth, a pretty well regarded member member of the Logan group, "Winky's Workshop" on YouTube, reported on his 820 (10"):
The original New Departure bearing has a shield but is not sealed. SKF recommended Mobil Polyrex EM Grease and said the bearing needed to be packed 1/3 full but that as long as it wasn't sealed filling it completely would not hurt. He said it would push out what was not needed when the bearing got hot.
Don't know if that helps or not.

Ron

Thanks for the responses, great commentary!

Yes, this bearing had shields on both sides.

I pulled the shield, but could not save it. Due to the spindle construction, I don’t think I have a suitable alternative to protecting the bearings from dirt or swarf that would inevitably find its way there. Looks like Scott Logan will get a couple Franklins for a replacement.

Here’s what it looks like after a cleanup.
7A8E4449-523B-423B-8DE6-4075EA4944F3.jpeg

I’ll likely press the spindle back in so I can keep the parts together and get the headstock back on my lathe and keep progress going. Now that I’ve had the spindle off, the second time will be much quicker/easier and can be accomplished without pulling the headstock. This will enable me to get the drive mounted back on and wired up.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Back