11 inch logan lubrication question

Chris Hamel

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I acquired a 11 inch Logan ( model 957) a while back and I am curious as to what lubrication I should be doing. My old lathe was a 9 inch South Bend and it had more oil cups and tubes than I could count. The only obvious oil port I see is at the end of the leadscrew. I would appreciate any advice.

Attachments

• 20210502_191830.jpg
    20210502_191830.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
Check out Vintage Machinery Logan Engineering That said, a lot of us choose to support Scott Logan, grandson of the founder of Logan Engineering, by purchasing a copy from Logan where many, many orginial parts are available. I recently purchased a follower rest new for less than I've seen them on eBay. Scott also moderates a FB and a groups.io forum where he will provide technical assistance. A manual is a cheap "Thank you." Ron

The Logans have "permanently" lubed headstock bearings, so those are not lubed routinely. Logan seems
to have eliminated oil cups to some degree over time, but anything that moves still needs lubrication. The
tailstock spindle and the hand wheel and controls on the apron all can use some oil. Gears in the gear train
need lube: I use open gear grease though some folks use oil. The spindle pulley may have a set screw that
can be removed and oil added: that is needed for back gear operation. Gears in the QCGB, lead screw bushings,
etc, etc. Don't forget way oil as well, which I use on the ways as well as the sliding surfaces on the compound
and cross slide.

+1 on what Shiseiji said: it's well worth it to obtain the Operators Instructions and Parts List either by download or
purchase from Logan. It has instructions for lubrication in it.

Ron has a good point. Logan is one of only two (or three depending upon how you count it - the other being Atlas-Clausing AKA Clausing Industrial) OEM's who still offer some support for their vintage machines. As such, they should get your business whenever possible.

Thanks. I found a manual that sort of fit mine. Found most of the lube points they suggested. I have a bottle of way oil which I apply from time to time.

One critical point - do NOT put Way Oil in or on anything other than the ways or the dovetails or maybe the gears. Its surface tension will tend to prevent it from flowing through any tubes or holes, including out of any oil cups. Use only non-detergent single viscosity oil of SAE 10, 20 or 30, as recommended by the manufacturer.

You're right. Way oil is kind of sticky.

I should have added "or the ISO equivalent".

Back